SC Past and Present in Springwood Cemetery

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I was in downtown Greenville SC last Saturday and stopped by to see the plot in Springwood Cemetery where something like 70 unknown Confederate soldiers are buried. There were two hospitals in Greenville during the war, and sometimes when these men died there was no identification, and they would get them in the ground as quickly as they could. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon so I took a few pictures, and only afterward thought about how past and present exist so close together here, with the Confederate veterans graves in the foreground, and 20th and 21st century buildings in the background.

M4aF2mb.jpg

ZJI86iR.jpg

Yes, those are the markers in the photos. They are inscribed with "Unknown Soldier, CSA".

There may be other graves that are not marked, possibly even beneath the Confederate monument. It's not far at all from these gravestones. Standing next to it looking back at the cemetery you can see how close it is.
Gu1BaQD.jpg

I was in downtown Greenville SC last Saturday and stopped by to see the plot in Springwood Cemetery where something like 70 unknown Confederate soldiers are buried. There were two hospitals in Greenville during the war, and sometimes when these men died there was no identification, and they would get them in the ground as quickly as they could. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon so I took a few pictures, and only afterward thought about how past and present exist so close together here, with the Confederate veterans graves in the foreground, and 20th and 21st century buildings in the background.

View attachment 397500

View attachment 397501
Great pictures. Thanks for posting them. I haven't been to SC yet. I gotta get busy.

The confederate monument used to be in the middle of Main Street. It was moved to its current location when Main Street went through major changes years and years ago.

Back