Parrott Rifle Tompion Or Something Else?

nemorgan

Private
P1160204.JPG P1160205.JPG P1160206.JPG P1160207.JPG P1160208.JPG
I received this piece along with an original grouping of Civil War items that I purchased on Ebay. A friend suggested that it might be a tompion for a cannon. I did some measuring and the bottom portion is 2.9" or 73 mm in diameter. It appears that it would fit the bore of an 1861 10 pounder Parrott rifle perfectly. Is this a cannon tompion or something else? It is made of wood. Thanks for any help offered.

Last edited:
I admit that tompions are not something I know a lot about but from what I do know I'd say what you've got isn't one. I believe those for field guns were metal, which makes sense as such wouldn't be subject to changes due to moisture and wear as with wood. I do think some of the large guns (as in forts) used wood tompions but yours is, of course, too small for one of those.

I'm sure someone who knows more will come along in a day or so. Keep checking.

Its defiantly a mussel plug and with the wood I'm going with @Package4 on Navy or seacoast. Here is one I recently sold that was Civil War for a 3 inch field gun, it had a canvas cover but being it was dug most of the canvas it gone. Also here is a photo of a seacoast gun. The wooden ones would have been for naval or seacoast service so as not to rust. The design of your is interesting and IMHO is post war but I will look thru my arty books and see.
1865-04-guns-Ft-Johnson-x-Geo-N-Barnard-LC-DIG-cwpb-02434_lrg.jpg
DSCN7251.JPG
DSCN7252 (2).JPG
DSCN7257.JPG
DSCN7259 (2).JPG

Back