Parrot 1861

moblot70

Cadet
Bonjour à tous.
Collectionneur et tireur aux armes anciennes et aux canons modèles réduits,que je fabrique,je recherche les plans cotés des organes de visée (hausse et guidon) pour un canon Parrot modèle 1861.Une centaine de ces canons furent vendus à la France pendant la guerre de 1870.
Merci.

Expired Image RemovedExpired Image Removed
Mod. 1863

Bonjour à tous.
Collectionneur et tireur aux armes anciennes et aux canons modèles réduits,que je fabrique,je recherche les plans cotés des organes de visée (hausse et guidon) pour un canon Parrot modèle 1861.Une centaine de ces canons furent vendus à la France pendant la guerre de 1870.
Merci.

Translation:

Hello with all. Collector and gunner with the old weapons and the reduced model guns, that I manufacture, I seek the plans with dimensions of the bodies of aiming (rise and handlebar) for a Parrot gun models 1861. A hundred of these guns were sold in France during the war of 1870. Thank you.

Thank you Babelfish.yahoo.com!

Someone told me recently that Google Translate is the best translator -- good opportunity to try it out.

Hello everyone.
Collector and shooter arms ancient cannons and models, that I make, I seek the dimensional drawings of the sights (and higher handlebars) for a Parrot gun model 1861.Une hundred of these guns were sold in France during the war 1870.
Thank you.

Pretty good!

There were at least three times that many 3" Ord Rifles sold to France in the same time frame. The Parrotts didn't fare well during the Franco Prussian War w/ several bursting (they had been heavily used prior to their sale as surplus to France) many of the 3" Rifles were all but new and fared better garnering a better reputation to include a reputation for excellent accuracy. Thus the performance of the Parrots history in France is not as well known. FWIW the first "French 75's" were made up from 3" Ord Rifles, a few were even converted back to 3" Ord Rifles by civilian re-enacting units in the US.

The 3" Rifle proved to be an excellent canidate for conversion to breach loading conversions and was a test bed throughout the world w/ The French, US, German, Japanese & Chinese (though I have no idea who did the conversions in that case) the last 3" Ord rifles were used in combat, ironically, against the US by the Japanese. They had been captured in 1942 and were gleefully used against their former owners.

3" is essentially 75mm and the 3" Ord Rifle's popularity and effectiveness is a big reason why 75mm became a world standard for field guns for better than a century.

I'm unaware of an online sites that will answer the question asked by our French affiando, likely Mike can provide better titles and links than I know of.

Charlie Smithgall, (of Lancaster, PA) is the guy you want to talk to, if Charlie doesn't know the answer, he'll find someone who does. Trouble is, I don't have an e-mail for him. Perhapse civilwartalk does?

I'd suggest contacting Chapman & Sons, however, their web site is no longer on line.... I'll check the Artilleryman magazine and see if I can find anything...

Back