ENDED Parker Hale 1858 Naval Rifle

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveoko922

Private
FOR TRADE ONLY

PH 1858 with venerable 1:48 twist progressive depth barrel. Comes with new canvas bag, and nipple protector chain. Will ship to your door

Looking for repro civil war breech loading carbines ( Burnside, sharps) pedersoli 1861 Springfield, pedersoli lorenz or Armi sport 1842 rifled muskets in .69 caliber

received_730426990900580.jpeg

20201205_172841.jpg

FOR TRADE ONLY

PH 1858 with venerable 1:48 twist progressive depth barrel. Comes with new canvas bag, and nipple protector chain. Will ship to your door

Looking for repro civil war breech loading carbines ( Burnside, sharps) pedersoli 1861 Springfield, pedersoli lorenz or Armi sport 1842 rifled muskets in .69 caliber

View attachment 383472

View attachment 383473
Welcome to @CivilWarTalk from the Railroads and Steam Locomotives Forum. That looks like you made a good shot! I was astounded at the amount of damage done by the caliber used. What of body shots, do they spoil the prize?
I hope you stay with us and join in on some conversations. Possibly you could share some pictures of other accoutrements in the Weaponry forum. Thanks.
Lubliner.

Thanks for the welcome. From my experience, a .58 caliber burton will pass clean through the lungs/chest of a deer or elk with little expantion. A shoulder shot will flatten and crush the entire area, spoiling one of not both shoulders..a head shot, well...don't let the wife and kids see the deer you bring home. Lol

In all cases, the animal does not go far at all.

Thanks for the welcome. From my experience, a .58 caliber burton will pass clean through the lungs/chest of a deer or elk with little expantion. A shoulder shot will flatten and crush the entire area, spoiling one of not both shoulders..a head shot, well...don't let the wife and kids see the deer you bring home. Lol

In all cases, the animal does not go far at all.
You had a good head shot. How far out were you, if I may ask, and were you in a blind, on a mount, or stalking?
Lubliner.

I was stalking and got lucky enough to crest a small hill with a group of deer below me on the other side. In the ball park of 80-90 yards.

You must have been already loaded and prepared for the shot. Taking aim while standing, or dropping to the knee, did you have plenty of time to pick the shot? Doe season!
Lubliner.

Sure was. Sun was on my back, wind blowing in my favor. Standing snap shot before they could detect me. Smoke cleared to see a large doe down.
Thank you for the responses. I stalked snakes so I do understand the thrill of a hunting sport, though I have never gone armed. You can call me an enthusiast of 'game' sporting regardless of the target and means. I don't think I would fare well with dressing down a deer, though.
Lubliner.

You get hungry enough, you'd be positively shocked at what you're capable of doing.
I've been hungry enough, but the ways of life forbid my doing so. Such as the time I was to take my .22 Savage to the rifle range, and couldn't find my stinger bullets. So I had to use the rifle my friend took with him. I never did get to shoot the Savage, though I did find the bullets later when I had no opportunity to get back to the range! Such proves a life once led.
Lubliner.

From my experience, a .58 caliber burton will pass clean through the lungs/chest of a deer or elk with little expantion.
My .50 caliber Hawken (Replica) pushed by 90 grains went through both Shoulders of a doe (probably the same size in above photo) and bounced off the ground and buzzed over my buddy in a tree stand.
Ruined both shoulder roasts.

The day prior to me getting this deer, I almost caught a bullet from the most BEAUTIFUL custom .54 lancaster rifle. Some guy didn't see me in the brush and thought there was a grouse. The silence was broken by a frizen snapping them KAPOW! LESS THAN 50 YARDS HE WAS. Bits of tree and dirt exploded behind peppered my head and my ears were ringing. I stepped out angry as hell but couldn't help but complementing that idiots gerogous rifle!

The day prior to me getting this deer, I almost caught a bullet from the most BEAUTIFUL custom .54 lancaster rifle. Some guy didn't see me in the brush and thought there was a grouse. The silence was broken by a frizen snapping them KAPOW! LESS THAN 50 YARDS HE WAS. Bits of tree and dirt exploded behind peppered my head and my ears were ringing. I stepped out angry as hell but couldn't help but complementing that idiots gerogous rifle!
Shooting grouse with a .54 caliber?
That sounds like my cousin who shot a dove with a .22-250 !

I met a part-time gun smith who made a flintlock “Kentucky rifle” but made it a shotgun. That is what that guy should have used on grouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back