Muzzleldrs Paper with soldier name found in my musket buttplate. NEW provenance info added on 1/18/14.

The family homestead is a museum, it even has a facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bric...-Society-Havens-Homestead-Museum/275363753515 Check it out.

In a brief session poking around I discovered he was born about 1838. He was from Brick, NJ. Married Sarah Dorset July 1865, less than a month after the regiment mustered out.

Jacob lived a long life. He died in 1926. Appears to have been a carpenter and looks like he lived at least all of the post war years in Brick.

I could not find him or his supposed father (Jesse) in the 1860 census. I suspect they are somewhere in Brick, but I didn't do any alternate spelling searches.

He had 4 kids, I think.

Also, there are a few others with the Havens surname in his regiment. Suspect they are probably all related somehow. The ancestors of Jacob came to New Jersey in the 17th century according to published family trees. The founding ancestor in America was from England and settled in Rhode Island originally.

I found a little info on the museum at www.bricktwphistoricalsociety.com. It mentions who owned the house and a little about it. There is also info and a picture of a Henry Clay Havens who was a 1st sergeant in Co F of the 14th NJ, but no mention of Jacob.

I found a little info on the museum at www.bricktwphistoricalsociety.com. It mentions who owned the house and a little about it. There is also info and a picture of a Henry Clay Havens who was a 1st sergeant in Co F of the 14th NJ, but no mention of Jacob.

I love when I find names like that. Good evidence for political beliefs. A little more insight than just cold facts. I have found a few of those in my lines---an Andrew Jackson Bennett here, a Winfield Scott Beck there (WSB was captured at Stone's River and died as a POW in the Civil War).

Cool find, Frank.

I love when I find names like that. Good evidence for political beliefs. A little more insight than just cold facts. I have found a few of those in my lines---an Andrew Jackson Bennett here, a Winfield Scott Beck there (WSB was captured at Stone's River and died as a POW in the Civil War).

Cool find, Frank.

Thanks again for your interest and help!

Wow!! just wow!! that gun was at Cold Harbor, the wilderness, I mean holding it in your hand and knowing where it's been and what it's done. History coming alive

Keep it unless it was absolutely necessary to sell it. I would always regret selling it
Wow!! just wow!! that gun was at Cold Harbor, the wilderness, I mean holding it in your hand and knowing where it's been and what it's done. History coming alive

I'm thrilled to have it. I was pretty excited about getting it before I found the name, but it really has a special aura around it now. Discovering the history (much thanks to this forums members) has changed the look and feel of this musket. I believe I would regret selling it. It would be anticlimactic to try and replace it!

I'm thrilled to have it. I was pretty excited about getting it before I found the name, but it really has a special aura around it now. Discovering the history (much thanks to this forums members) has changed the look and feel of this musket. I believe I would regret selling it. It would be anticlimactic to try and replace it!
With the provenance, it is worth about three pristine examples of the same. I'd like to see a Havens have it, but it is not my decision to make.

I have an immigrant's trunk made by my gggfather (Ole) for my ggfather's wedding in 1847. Who ought to have it when I'm gone?

I wanted to give an update on this musket. I had time to visit the Trento NJ archives and found some information on Jacob Havens. Also, I ordered his military service records and federal pension records from the National Archives. I was very surprised to get the info from the NA in less than 2 weeks!
I just received his service records today. I'm going to look over everything and if anyone is interested I'll post more info. It doesn't seem like he was related to the Havens in Brick NJ that have the Homestead Museum. Not much personal info in the service records. All muster rolls. But it looks like he was present for the whole 3 years of his service. It shows on the muster-out roll that he did purchase his musket for $6.00!

Should I start a new thread with his information or continue on this one? Anything I should take particular note of?

Once again thanks for all the help, info, and comments that were provided!

Frank

Should I start a new thread with his information or continue on this one? Anything I should take particular note of?

Personally I'd like to see you continue this thread. I get lost too easily :wink: Don't forget to look for pension applications, lots of personal info there...

Personally I'd like to see you continue this thread. I get lost too easily :wink: Don't forget to look for pension applications, lots of personal info there...

Thanks for your interest and I will add more information to this thread. I did order and receive his federal pension records. Mr. Havens lived a long life but suffered from rheumatism and some other ailments starting at a young age. I'll try to put together a brief timeline from what I find this weekend.

Thanks for your interest and I will add more information to this thread. I did order and receive his federal pension records. Mr. Havens lived a long life but suffered from rheumatism and some other ailments starting at a young age. I'll try to put together a brief timeline from what I find this weekend.
Will be devoured avidly. Much appreciated.

Hello,

I am lightly oiling the metal and waxing the wood to preserve my newly acquired original CW Bridesburg musket. I found this piece of paper with what looks like a soldiers name and unit information attached to the inside of the buttplate.

I thought I had read that someone found similar information or discussed soldiers doing this with their weapons but I can't find that thread.

The name looks like "Jacob Havens" and after the name it looks like "Co" and a letter H or A,(I can't really tell), the number 14 followed by "N." Gr or Jr (not sure)? The paper is glued to the plate from the top of the paper strip and folds down to read the name

If anyone has any information or comments that would be great and appreciated.

Also, should I lightly oil around the paper and leave it there or not touch the inside of the buttplate at all?

Thanks again for all the help!

FrankView attachment 23165
From the script, the Co. letter can be H or F --not "A" as it wouldn't be disconnected.

M. E. Wolf

Here is the information that I collected for Jacob Havens. I'll be repeating some of the info that was already provided by helpful forum members in this thread. I'll give a brief sort of timeline gathered from the NJ archives, compiled military service records and federal military pension records. I'll break it up into 4 posts.

Jacob Havens - Company F, 14th Regiment NJ Infantry volunteers.
5' 3 1/2" tall , light complexion, blue eyes, brown hair
born - July 13, 1839 died - Nov. 9, 1926
rank - Private
enlisted - Aug. 15, 1862
mustered in - Aug. 26, 1862
mustered out - June 18, 1865

From the NJ Archives in Trenton, NJ.
-I have some copies of payroll lists for Co. F of the 14th NJ that include Jacob's name. He forwarded much of his pay to his father and also the father of his then fiancé Sarah Dorsett.
-A list of marriages from May 1865 to May 1866 for the township of Brick NJ. This includes his and Sarah's name. They were married in July of 1865.
-A list of names for Co. F that include Jacob
-His discharge certificate.

Also, I copied 3 letters, one from John C. Patterson, one from Jarvis Wanser and one possibly from William S. Truex. They all were officers in Co. F. The letters were written to each other in 1871 to compare diary notes for the dates of battles of the 14th NJ from July 1863 through April 1865. I'm including a photo of Patterson's letter. I thought it was pretty cool. I hope it's clear enough to read. I'll be adding more posts soon. Next will be service records from the National Archives.
image.jpg

From the National Archives in Washington, DC I have his Muster Rolls (compiled service records). He was present for every month of his service except the Muster Roll for March, 1863 was missing. There was no mention of him being wounded, sick or on furlough. I guess I can assume that he was involved in all the regiments combat experiences?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
No other remarks besides some advance pay during his first few months.

I've included photos of 3 of the Muster Rolls - Muster In, Muster Out and a Special Muster Roll.

You can see on the Muster out roll that he chose to pay $6.00 in order to keep his Musket!

Could someone tell me what the "Special Muster Roll" was? I see that many soldiers have this in their records but I couldn't find an explanation of what this was.

I'll add some info from the Military Pension files next.

From the Federal Military Pension Records.

He lived in West Point Pleasant, Ocean County NJ. Was married to Sarah Ann Dorsett on July 16th, 1865. They had four children - 2 boys and 2 girls.

Jacob lived a long life but almost half of it was in pain. He applied for and began receiving a pension in 1890 at age 50. He was suffering from Rheumatism at that time. There were many requests for pension increases. As time went on he dealt with lumbago, a hernia, some other ailments and started showing some signs of senility and dementia in his 70's. He started needing assistance for his daily activities (his children provided much of this). His occupation was listed as a farmer and later as a boat builder. Included were some letters written by Jacob and some by his children for pension increases as well as many other official forms. It was/is interesting, strange and sad to be able to read much of this.

Sarah died in December of 1912 and Jacob passed on November 9th, 1926.

Back