Muzzleldrs Paper with soldier name found in my musket buttplate. NEW provenance info added on 1/18/14.

FrankN

Corporal
Hello,

I am lightly oiling the metal and waxing the wood to preserve my newly acquired original CW Bridesburg musket. I found this piece of paper with what looks like a soldiers name and unit information attached to the inside of the buttplate.

I thought I had read that someone found similar information or discussed soldiers doing this with their weapons but I can't find that thread.

The name looks like "Jacob Havens" and after the name it looks like "Co" and a letter H or A,(I can't really tell), the number 14 followed by "N." Gr or Jr (not sure)? The paper is glued to the plate from the top of the paper strip and folds down to read the name

If anyone has any information or comments that would be great and appreciated.

Also, should I lightly oil around the paper and leave it there or not touch the inside of the buttplate at all?

Thanks again for all the help!

Frank
image.jpg

No more oil on it please. Go to Woodcraft and buy yourself a can of Renaissance Wax. Developed by the British Museum, it's microcrystalline, PH neutral and is good for preserving wood, metal and leather and used by museum conservators worldwide.

Great find!

I hear you. I have the Renaissance Wax. Just ordered and got it this week. That's what I was going to use. I was just trying to lightly clean off a little rust. I'm being careful.

Back