Paper Cartridges for Review

juno-44

Cadet
Hi,

Are these original Civil War paper cartridges? Thanking you all in advance and hoping to hear from some of you very soon.

Regards, juno-44

cw50.jpg

cw51.jpg

cw52.jpg

cw54.jpg

They certainly look like they could be, but I'm no expert on ammunition. Welcome to the forums!

These same photos came up in another thread not long ago with the same question. I believe the consensus was they were. They look good to me but I'm not an expert at it. They are for sale correct?

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. Its very hard to determine if anything is authentic based on photos but I believe at least the brown paper one is an original as I have several in my collection and they are wrapped and tied the same. One thing you have to look at is that over time the paper will get brittle and the rings of the bullet will show thru the paper such as this one. The tell tell is the twine.
DSCN6353.JPG
DSCN6354.JPG
DSCN6356.JPG
DSCN6359.JPG
DSCN6364.JPG

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. Its very hard to determine if anything is authentic based on photos but I believe at least the brown paper one is an original as I have several in my collection and they are wrapped and tied the same. One thing you have to look at is that over time the paper will get brittle and the rings of the bullet will show thru the paper such as this one. The tell tell is the twine.

This reminds me of a grotesque story I heard from some local friends here in East Texas: It seems that there was a so-called laboratory for the manufacture of small arms ammunition during the Civil War here in our largest community, Tyler; sometime now many years ago someone digging around in the attic of an old building downtown found some odd paper tubes that after being torn open were found to be filled with dirt or charcoal - which was of course thrown away - but also a lead bullet!

Back