(Buried: Elmwood Memorial Gardens, Columbia, South Carolina)​

Children:

Edwin Kirby Palmer 1853 – 1925​
(Buried: Elmwood Memorial Gardens, Columbia, South Carolina)​

Occupation before War:

Merchant in Detroit, Michigan​
Wealthy Farmer in Watauga County, North Carolina​

Civil War Career:

1861: Unsuccessful Candidate for Delegate to North Carolina Secession Convention​
1861: Captain of Mitchell Rangers in North Carolina​
IMG_2374.JPG

1862: Attempted to recruit the Palmer Legion in North Carolina​
1862: Lt. Colonel of 5th​ North Carolina Partisan Rangers Battalion​
1862 – 1863: Colonel of 58th​ North Carolina Infantry Regiment​
1863: Wounded in the Battle of Chickamuga, Georgia​
1863: Relieved of duty with 58th​ North Carolina in November​
1863 – 1864: Commander of the District of Western North Carolina​
1864 – 1865: Brigade Commander in District of Western North Carolina​
1865: Paroled in Athens, Georgia on May 8th​

Occupation after War:

Bank and Railroad President in Columbia, South Carolina​
Resident of Winter Park, Florida​

Died:
December 10, 1893

Place of Death: Winter Park, Florida

Age at time of Death: 67 years old

Burial Place: Elmwood Memorial Gardens, Columbia, South Carolina

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my research interest. Twice in my life I've lived close to where he live. Once in Florida, and now, in present-day Avery County, North Carolina. (I live about five mile from where his house was located. His 1860s home, Grassland, on the banks of the Linville River, was burned by federals at the end of June 1864.) I wrote a history of his regiment, the 58th North Carolina Troops, and am currently working on a book on the Toe River Valley. His wife was a cousin of Edmund Kirby Smith. And, his wife's brother, Capt. Edmund Kirby, was promoted by Lincoln on his deathbed to general.

Due to heavy casualties his 58th North Carolina was consolidated with the 60th North Carolina and Palmer found himself to be a supernumerary and was detached from his regiment.On November 18, 1863 he was assigned to the district of Western North Carolina where his duties included rounding up deserters and draft evaders in the mountains of North Carolina.

Due to heavy casualties his 58th North Carolina was consolidated with the 60th North Carolina and Palmer found himself to be a supernumerary and was detached from his regiment.On November 18, 1863 he was assigned to the district of Western North Carolina where his duties included rounding up deserters and draft evaders in the mountains of North Carolina.
The consolidation was only temporary, at least until April 1865 when the 60th NC ceased to exist. Palmer was not supernumerary. He was absent on a wound furlough. He actually outranked the colonel of the 60th NC, Washington M. Hardy.

Judging from the conflict engaged between Governor Brown and Davis concerning the North Carolina Partisan Rangers, and all of that ilk, I see the interest for knowing about those appointments, such as why he went to Infantry Colonel from the Rangers. I am wondering if this was due partially to Davis, where the Rangers may have been disbanded, not being able to elect their own officers?
Lubliner.

Judging from the conflict engaged between Governor Brown and Davis concerning the North Carolina Partisan Rangers, and all of that ilk, I see the interest for knowing about those appointments, such as why he went to Infantry Colonel from the Rangers. I am wondering if this was due partially to Davis, where the Rangers may have been disbanded, not being able to elect their own officers?
Lubliner.
After the East Tennessee bridge burnings (November 1861), the governor of North Carolina authorized each western North Carolina county that rested on a Tennessee county to raise a company for local defense. Palmer was placed in command of one of those companies, the Mitchell Rangers. (The counties lines had changed in February 1861. Palmer was now in Mitchell County.) This was a mixed company of infantry and cavalry. In early 1862, the Confederate Congress passed the Partisan Ranger Act, and Palmer's command increased, maybe to seven companies of infantry/cavalry overall. However, the idea of Partisan Rangers soon fell out of favor. Palmer's infantry companies became the 58th North Carolina Troops, while his cavalry companies became the 5th Battalion North Carolina Cavalry (later combined with the 7th Battalion to form the 6th North Carolina Cavalry). For a brief amount of time, after being ordered to east Tennessee, he continued to command both the 58th NC and the 5th Battalion. Eventually, the 5th Battalion was reassigned.

After the East Tennessee bridge burnings (November 1861), the governor of North Carolina authorized each western North Carolina county that rested on a Tennessee county to raise a company for local defense. Palmer was placed in command of one of those companies, the Mitchell Rangers. (The counties lines had changed in February 1861. Palmer was now in Mitchell County.) This was a mixed company of infantry and cavalry. In early 1862, the Confederate Congress passed the Partisan Ranger Act, and Palmer's command increased, maybe to seven companies of infantry/cavalry overall. However, the idea of Partisan Rangers soon fell out of favor. Palmer's infantry companies became the 58th North Carolina Troops, while his cavalry companies became the 5th Battalion North Carolina Cavalry (later combined with the 7th Battalion to form the 6th North Carolina Cavalry). For a brief amount of time, after being ordered to east Tennessee, he continued to command both the 58th NC and the 5th Battalion. Eventually, the 5th Battalion was reassigned.
If you can find the thread on the Shelton Laurel Massacre and one more, Palmer appears numerous times I believe. This thread hasn't been real active since before you joined. It is an excellent thread, and you may be able to revive it.
Lubliner.

If you can find the thread on the Shelton Laurel Massacre and one more, Palmer appears numerous times I believe. This thread hasn't been real active since before you joined. It is an excellent thread, and you may be able to revive it.
Lubliner
The Laurel War is a fascinating subject. I have a friend who has researched it for years (he is from Madison County). Maybe one day, he will put his research on paper.

Back