Painting Civil War Miniatures

Hello,

I have recently gotten into table top wargaming, specifically ACW, and I was wondering if there were any great books and or websites that have good accurate colored pictures of different civil war uniforms? I really want my miniatures to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks!

There are a great many books. By mid War most of the fancy uniforms were gone and both side usually wore fairly plain uniforms. I have a large number of books that cover Civil War uniforms and could be more helpful if I knew what battles you are interested in. There have been several discussion about uniforms in the Uniforms & Relics part of this forum. You can use the search function to hunt for specific uniforms and units.

As a co host of the Uniforms & Relics I can invite you post questions on that part of CivilWarTalk. We have some very knowledgeable forum members.

I play "Johnny Reb III"......I have painted over 1,000 Confederate troops, officers, artillery and supply wagons, including horses (no two horses look alike!).....I even make sure the hair, beards and mustaches are different.....In the end, when the game is played, no one notices, even I forget the differences......Just paint your troops a good color, varying from unit to unit for variety.....As far as the game is concerned, "authenticity" does not matter......

Wow can we see some pics!! Of your men and table set up?! I’m very interested sounds like fun!

Don Troiani has several good books , but they aren't cheap. I also paint miniatures , but for display . Primarily 75mm and some 54mm.

Back