• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Seafood Oyster Pie

oyster pie
1628796643871.png
(from newspaper Southern Recorder, of Milledgeville, Georgia, March 29, 1864)

Ingredients:

short crust​
pieces of bread or crackers​
oysters​
salt & pepper​
butter​
vinegar​

Instructions:

Line a deep plate with short crust; lay pieces of bread or crackers. Stew your oysters, put them in the plate, season with salt, pepper and butter, and a little vinegar; place a top crust and bake until brown.​

JULIA.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Southern Recorder, Mar. 29, 1864 -- page 2

Oyster Pie: Line a deep plate with short crust; lay pieces of bread or crackers. Stew your oysters, put them in the plate, season with salt, pepper and butter, and a little vinegar; place a top crust and bake until brown.

JULIA

Barrycdog,

Now this recepiet really caught my eye, as I am an oyster lover from waaayyy back! :smile:

The big treat around our house when I was growing up is when my Mom would get some Maryland oysters and fry them up in a cracker crumb crust by the dozens! I would rather eat those than any amount of sweets or deserts.

My wife does 'em for me now and they are still my most favorite treat.

This one sounds so interesting, I'm thinking of printing it off and seeing if she wants to take a swing at it sometime in the near future.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

I love oysters too. My family hates seafood but I love it. I envy the style seafood produced up that way. I would love to try a real lobster roll and the other seafood I see on Man Vs. Food.

Barrycdog,

Man, are you talking my language now!

Seafood! Always loved it and could never get enough of it.

When the wife and I travel South, we always stop at Savannah, Georgia, and get out to Uncle Bubba's and the Crab Shack for some GOOD seafood! When we travel North, we always to to Mystic Harbor and other spots and chow down on lobster, crab legs, shrimp, oysters, and just keep it coming!

Something about seafood, and I hope I never get over it.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Barrycdog,

Now this recepiet really caught my eye, as I am an oyster lover from waaayyy back! :smile:

The big treat around our house when I was growing up is when my Mom would get some Maryland oysters and fry them up in a cracker crumb crust by the dozens! I would rather eat those than any amount of sweets or deserts.

This one sounds so interesting, I'm thinking of printing it off and seeing if she wants to take a swing at it sometime in the near future.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Oh Lordy where is a good 24 hr sea food retailer when I need one.

Barrycdog,

Sincerely,
Unionblue

An oyster fry was a rare event but the only way we ate oysters - and it was at great-grandma's place. (They were in the same boat as liver with my dad - go far away on a lonely hill to eat that stuff!) But you folks back East have the advantage of truly delicious oysters. California has some, too, but - strangely for a state with more coastline than most countries have - there's only one place with commercial oyster beds. That's Tomales Bay above San Francisco. They are very good but don't match the ones on the Atlantic coast. (It may be the fault of the otters, who love oysters! They also love abalone, so much they've almost wiped it out in places...)

jgoodguy,

Not ANYWHERE within Central Ohio, of that I can assure you!

Hence the wife and I's many trips to the coast. :smile:

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Luckily I am only 300 miles from the Gulf Coast, but several OK seafood retailers within 30 minutes. Just have to remember to ask when it was delivered.

An oyster fry was a rare event but the only way we ate oysters - and it was at great-grandma's place. (They were in the same boat as liver with my dad - go far away on a lonely hill to eat that stuff!) But you folks back East have the advantage of truly delicious oysters. California has some, too, but - strangely for a state with more coastline than most countries have - there's only one place with commercial oyster beds. That's Tomales Bay above San Francisco. They are very good but don't match the ones on the Atlantic coast. (It may be the fault of the otters, who love oysters! They also love abalone, so much they've almost wiped it out in places...)

Wife hates liver and oysters. I can only eat Gulf of Mexico oysters, all others taste funny. The oil rig blow out and closing of the oyster beds made me feel like Sherman had passed near by.

Wife hates liver and oysters. I can only eat Gulf of Mexico oysters, all others taste funny. The oil rig blow out and closing of the oyster beds made me feel like Sherman had passed near by.

Yes, that was so bad! Did the shrimp recover? All that goop was sunk to the bottom so it looked nicely done. Kind of reminds me of the loggers clear cutting right up to the edge of a roadway and leaving a fringe so it looks like there's still a forest there...:smoke:

I love oysters too. My family hates seafood but I love it. I envy the style seafood produced up that way. I would love to try a real lobster roll and the other seafood I see on Man Vs. Food.
I'm right there with you on the same page! Have same situation here at home with seafood non-lovers. That lobster roll does look amazing, doesn't it? Really great seafood is difficult to find this far inland. My bucket list contains a trip to Maine's Lobster-fest. Now there is some super seafood!!!

Back