NF Outer Banks

Non-Fiction

KSor

Cadet
I will be vacationing on the outer banks of North Carolina this summmer . I am looking for books about the war in that general area if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it!

This is the only one I know of:

Oxford, Lee Thomas (2013) The Civil War on Hatteras: The Chicamacomico Affair And The Capture Of The U.S. Gunboat Fanny (The History Press, Charleston, SC)

My parents took me there when I was eight or nine before there was a bridge from the mainland. Be prepared for some serious mosquitos.

Oxford, Lee Thomas (2013) The Civil War on Hatteras: The Chicamacomico Affair And The Capture Of The U.S. Gunboat Fanny (The History Press, Charleston, SC)

My parents took me there when I was eight or nine before there was a bridge from the mainland. Be prepared for some serious mosquitos.

I will be vacationing on the outer banks of North Carolina this summmer . I am looking for books about the war in that general area if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it!

Be sure to visit Fort Macon. Might be worthwhile to call the park's gift shop and see what title's they have available.

I am sure there are numerous titles covering Burnside's NC expedition that will contain a lot of info on the campaign in the Outer Banks.

Mosquitoes? I was told island dwellers in So. Carolina those were ` skeeters " thems the state birds!

some sites:

Averasboro Civil War Battlefield
N.C. 82, Dunn

Historic markers and a museum tell the story of the March 1865 battle. Highlights include Chicora Cemetery and Lebanon, the 1825 plantation home used as a Confederate hospital.

Battle of Chicamacomico Races
Civic Center-Route 12, Rodanthe

Outdoor monument commemorating the October 1861 battle.

Bellamy Mansion Museum
503 Market Street, Wilmington

The Union used this spectacular plantation home as its military headquarters following the fall of Wilmington in 1865.

Bentonville Battleground State Historic Site
5466 Harper House Road, Four Oaks

The largest battle fought in North Carolina and the last major Confederate offensive of the war took place here. Harper House (on the site) served as a Union field hospital during the battle.

Cape Fear Museum
814 Market Street, Wilmington

Established in 1898 as a repository for Confederate relics, the museum presents exhibits that explore the history of Wilmington, blockade running, and the Battle of Fort Fisher.

Fort Anderson State Historic Site
8884 St. Philip’s Road Southeast, Winnabow

The fall of Fort Anderson in February 1865 allowed the Union to take Wilmington and cut supply lines to the Confederate army. Visitors can see the nearly 90 percent of the earthen fort that remain today.

Fort Branch
N.C. 1416, Fort Branch Road, Hamilton

On the banks of the Roanoke River, this earthen fort protected the CSS Albemarle construction site and a railroad bridge. Seven original cannons are on exhibit.

Fort Fisher State Historic Site
1610 Fort Fisher Boulevard, Kure Beach

Fort Fisher, the largest Confederate earthen fort, protected blockade runners bound for Wilmington loaded with goods critical to the South.

Fort Macon State Park
East Fort Macon Road, Atlantic Beach

Union troops captured this casemated fort in April 1862 after a land and sea bombardment. Visitors can view restored rooms and explore a museum.

Fort Raleigh National Historic Site
1401 National Park Drive, Manteo

This pre-Colonial site contains exhibits on the Civil War and the Freedmen’s Colony.

Liberty Hall Plantation
409 South Main Street, Kenansville

Tour the nineteenth-century home of the Kenan family and view exhibits and a video presentation highlighting plantation life during the Civil War. The nearby Cowan Museum (free admission) has an extensive collection of rural artifacts.

Museum of the Albemarle
1116 U.S. 17 South, Elizabeth City

Part of the North Carolina Museum of History Division, this museum features an overview of the Civil War in the Albemarle region and offers exhibits on slavery and antebellum plantation life.

Museum of the Cape Fear
801 Arsenal Avenue, Fayetteville

This museum, part of the North Carolina Museum of History Division, features Civil War exhibits and the remains of an arsenal used to supply weapons and ammunition to the South.

Poplar Grove Plantation
10200 U.S. 17 North, Wilmington

Costumed interpreters lead visitors through this antebellum plantation and demonstrate nineteenth-century crafts.

Port-o-Plymouth Museum
302 East Water Street, U.S. 64, Plymouth

This museum interprets the Battle of Plymouth, the CSS Albemarle, and Union occupation of the town.

Somerset Place State Historic Site
2572 Lake Shore Road, Creswell
http://www.somersetplace.nchistoricsites.org

This historic site examines the people who lived and worked at one of North Carolina’s largest plantations and the Civil War’s impact on plantation life.

Wayne County Museum
116 North William Street, Goldsboro

This museum presents an exhibit about Union general William T. Sherman’s march through Wayne County on his way to Raleigh.

Wyse Fork Battlefield
U.S. 70, Kinston

Explore the battlefield where Confederate troops tried to halt Major General John Schofield’s march on Goldsboro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back