Our road to Vicksburg 2019 - Laurel Grove (North) Cemetery/Savannah

rebel brit

Captain
Forum Host
Day 2 of our trip we visited Laurel Grove (North) Cemetery, West Anderson St, Savannah. Unlike a lot of cemeteries this one is well signposted and points you in the direction of the most famous graves.
IMG_3167a.JPG

In the middle of Soldier's Circle stands a sculpture known as 'Silence' which was originally part of a Confederate memorial erected in Forsythe Park, Savannah. In 1878 the sculpture was relocated to the cemetery to mark the graves of soldiers killed in the Battle of Gettysburg.
IMG_3183.JPG

Confederate Brigadier General Gilbert Moxley Sorrel.
IMG_3181 (2).JPG

Confederate Colonel Francis Stebbins Bartow
IMG_3178.JPG

Phebe Pember, medical pioneer, author and Matron of Chimborazo Hospital in Richmond
IMG_3189.JPG

Confederate Major General Lafayette McLaws
IMG_3170.JPG

McLaws Camp
IMG_3180.JPG

Bartow and McLaws monuments in Forsythe Park, Savannah
IMG_3191.JPG

IMG_3193 (2).JPG

Sherman's HQ and Sorrel-Weed House both located in Madison Square
IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

Finally, a visit to Savannah is not complete without a Riverboat pic :smile:
IMG_3207.JPG

To be cont....

Great pictures, it looks as though they have done some improvements at Laurel Grove since I was last there and did you all get to see Bonaventure Cemetery also?
I'm afraid we had to miss it out on this trip as we only had one and a half days. We were determined to visit all of the 24 squares and chill out at the Riverwalk ,shops and the waving girl statue etc. Saving Bonaventure for next time.

Great photos and Savannah is my favorite city. When I was stationed at Fort Stewart I was there just about every weekend and they do have the 2nd biggest St Patrick's day celebration in the country.

I'm afraid we had to miss it out on this trip as we only had one and a half days. We were determined to visit all of the 24 squares and chill out at the Riverwalk ,shops and the waving girl statue etc. Saving Bonaventure for next time.
Waving girl? that belongs with the spitting boy of Koblenz and the clock guy sticking out his tongue in Koln!

Was just there 2 wks ago on a nine day excursion....Looks as though you took the same pics as we did.. Also visited the Bonaventure Cemetery where Confederate Commodore Josiah Tattnall is buried.....I was stationed on the U.S. Navy Destroyer named after him a long time ago back in the 60's... While we were in the area we stopped in Charleston S.C. saw the Hunley and visited the Magnolia Cemetery where the three crews are buried....was a very good trip...

Was just there 2 wks ago on a nine day excursion....Looks as though you took the same pics as we did.. Also visited the Bonaventure Cemetery where Confederate Commodore Josiah Tattnall is buried.....I was stationed on the U.S. Navy Destroyer named after him a long time ago back in the 60's... While we were in the area we stopped in Charleston S.C. saw the Hunley and visited the Magnolia Cemetery where the three crews are buried....was a very good trip...

Thought I would send a picture of Commodore Tattnall''s grave he's one one of a few graves at Bonaventure. an interesting fact I got locked out of my jeep on New Years Eve at Bonaventure Cemetery I had to call every lock smith in town one guy who unlocked cars the old fashion way helped me get into my jeep.

IMG_5600.JPG

Back