Our Mania For Celebrating Ourselves In Writing, From Yesterdays- LoC

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
How many business cards do you see during you day, displayed for pickup at the dentist, dry cleaners, and doctor's office, pharmacy heck, saw one at a school the other day. School? Oh well, at least everything was spelled correctly. :giggle:

We do seem to have had what amounts to a mania for writing things down, displaying who we are and better- why we are. Through the years it's become handier to say this stuff more succinctly than in the past. I really do not mean this at all critically but given the choice, have to say their way, 150 years ago, was better. :angel:

card boot.jpg

Selling boots, this salesman would have my business in a big hurry

card cin.jpg

Membership certificate- an there's a general feeling out there we hand out certificates and medals far too frequently ' these days ' May wish to rethink this.

card el.jpg

Now here is a business card.

card fa.jpg

Marriage through family tree- may have to use this!

card fam.jpg

And another! LoC knew what it was doing, preserving these.

card jewelers.jpg
card livery.jpg
card saddler.jpg

Jewelers, Livery Stable and Saddlers business cards. Aren't they incredible?? I'd go hire a horse to take me next door, just to have that card.

card sample.jpg

I'm unsure the purpose- but even if you were, who cares? It would sell itself then you'd figure out what in blazes to do with it,

card soldi.jpg

A blank soldiers' memorial, makes you catch your breath.

card stone mason.jpg

Stone Mason, must have handed out quite a few 150 years ago. Sobering to think of.

card temp.jpg
card templers.jpg

Another family record- they just adored these! Then a Templars certificate- which they also adored.

imo3.JPG

There were many, many of these on LoC, with the others. Memorials for a family's loss. You could purchase it and fill in your loved soldier's name- and date he left the earth.

marraige.JPG

Marriage certificates should still look like this. It would cut the divorce rate in half- who would want to get rid of this?

Back