Osprey men-at-arms series

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
On my book shelves I have numerous books from Osprey Publishing from several of their series. For example I have 27 Civil War related Osprey Men-at-Arms series alone and I have not purchased all of them. The Osprey Elite series and the Osprey Warrior series also have multiple books.

This is where Osprey started with Civil War uniforms in 1971.

bookie 12.jpg
bookie 13.jpg

When compared to the newer Osprey Men-at-Arms books we can see how far Osprey has come in the quality of the Men-at-Arms books. I must have around 600 various Osprey uniform books, does anyone have them all?

Lets be totally honest about Osprey books. Some are outstanding while others are absolutely useless. It depends on who the author was. Sometimes Osprey realized a book left something to be desired and had another author do a book on the same subject. I must know twenty-five to thirty people who authored books in the Osprey Men-At-Arms series.

Osprey books are what they are. Often nice color plates, some photos, but no end notes. In the end you must trust the author's uniform information. Still they are a great starting source for uniform information as long as you do additional research. They have improved over time.

Back