Lee Osprey book incorrect on date of Lee photo?

Vicksburger

First Sergeant
Robert_E_Lee_in_1863.png
I was reading the new Osprey title: "Appomattox 1865" by Ron Field and noticed an incorrect date on this well known photo of R.E.L.. The description says it is the only known photo of him wearing his sash and sword, that's ok, but it says it was taken in 1864. Now I thought this is wrong, isn't it from 1862 or maybe 63? Also, the book describes A.P. Hill as "not one of Lee's most successful generals." OK... what do you define as successful? Have you heard Hill ever described thusly? Now otherwise it is a nice book. It was published just this year, 2015. What do you think about the date of the photo?Robert_E_Lee_in_1863.png

Virginia Historical Society dates that picture to 1864, taken by Julian Vannerson. There is another similar Lee photo from 1862 which was used as a woodcut representation of Lee in northern publications throughout the war. It's this one:
RELee.2001.2.107.jpg

Now A P Hill... Lee had an affection for Hill that was way beyond the man's abilities. He could do no wrong after "up came Hill" and saved the day at Antietam. However, as a corps commander, he didn't display a lot of initiative, and was frequently h'or de combat when his corps went into action. He rashly engaged the V Corps at Bristoe Station, leading to shocking casualties. His tragic and thoroughly unnecessary death in the breakthrough at Petersburg, youth, romantic image in the red battle shirt and cool name cemented his legendary status. Really, he was pedestrian at best.

Virginia Historical Society dates that picture to 1864, taken by Julian Vannerson. There is another similar Lee photo from 1862 which was used as a woodcut representation of Lee in northern publications throughout the war. It's this one:
RELee.2001.2.107.jpg

Now A P Hill... Lee had an affection for Hill that was way beyond the man's abilities. He could do no wrong after "up came Hill" and saved the day at Antietam. However, as a corps commander, he didn't display a lot of initiative, and was frequently h'or de combat when his corps went into action. He rashly engaged the V Corps at Bristoe Station, leading to shocking casualties. His tragic and thoroughly unnecessary death in the breakthrough at Petersburg, youth, romantic image in the red battle shirt and cool name cemented his legendary status. Really, he was pedestrian at best.
Well I guess you prove me wrong. It is strange but the questioned picture sure looks to me like it is before the full stress of the war aged him. But if that is what it says... I understand your points about Hill but my Confederate prejudices won't let me agree with you on that one!

Well I guess you prove me wrong. It is strange but the questioned picture sure looks to me like it is before the full stress of the war aged him. But if that is what it says... I understand your points about Hill but my Confederate prejudices won't let me agree with you on that one!

A P Hill is interesting. Didn't Jackson and Lee on their deathbeds call to him to bring up his troops? He must have been in their subconscious thoughts ... good or bad.

The ones that really show the strain of war are the ones Brady took on the porch in Richmond right after the surrender. Look in Lee's eyes; they seething with anger. You can also see he's got a pretty good farmer's than, too.
It was such a disappointment to me, too, that someone with a cool name AND a US military post named after him could be underwhelming in reality, but that's my take on Hill. Actually, as a division commander, he was distinguished. And did well as a corps commander until Gettysburg. He may have bungled the direction of assault on the 2nd, but it didn't really matter with the gaping hole III Corps left in the Federal line. Bristoe Station and North Anna, and his performance in 1864 were not stellar. His death while riding down a couple of lowly Federal infantrymen was so sad and unnecessary. I think Hill needed more direct leadership than he got as a corps commander, especially from an army commander such as Lee who left a significant amount of discretion to subordinates.

RELee.2001.2.107.jpg

Hi,

The above photo was taken in January 1863 in the Richmond sudio of Minnis and Cowell. No question about the date or the photograhic studio. Documented in the National Archives. The original image Vicksburger posted of Lee in the long pants over his boots with the sash was one of the famous photos taken of the general in Julian Vannerson's studio in Richmond in January 1864.

Regards,

The ones that really show the strain of war are the ones Brady took on the porch in Richmond right after the surrender. Look in Lee's eyes; they seething with anger. You can also see he's got a pretty good farmer's than, too.
It was such a disappointment to me, too, that someone with a cool name AND a US military post named after him could be underwhelming in reality, but that's my take on Hill. Actually, as a division commander, he was distinguished. And did well as a corps commander until Gettysburg. He may have bungled the direction of assault on the 2nd, but it didn't really matter with the gaping hole III Corps left in the Federal line. Bristoe Station and North Anna, and his performance in 1864 were not stellar. His death while riding down a couple of lowly Federal infantrymen was so sad and unnecessary. I think Hill needed more direct leadership than he got as a corps commander, especially from an army commander such as Lee who left a significant amount of discretion to subordinates.

Had Hill been a better corps commander, that hole could have lead to something worse than mere desperation to fix it on the part of the Union generals.

I wouldn't say Hill as a corps commander was unpardonably inept (off the field, he seems to have been at least not noticeably bad), but he was certainly a less than successful corps commander.

Striking is the most notable word for the photographs of Lee posted here. Not sure if handsome (hard to do justice to that), but I can't help but think of another unrelated Lee.

The second photograph makes it clearer why some people mistook chief of artillery Pendleton for Lee.

View attachment 79827I was reading the new Osprey title: "Appomattox 1865" by Ron Field and noticed an incorrect date on this well known photo of R.E.L.. The description says it is the only known photo of him wearing his sash and sword, that's ok, but it says it was taken in 1864. Now I thought this is wrong, isn't it from 1862 or maybe 63? Also, the book describes A.P. Hill as "not one of Lee's most successful generals." OK... what do you define as successful? Have you heard Hill ever described thusly? Now otherwise it is a nice book. It was published just this year, 2015. What do you think about the date of the photo?View attachment 79827
There is a second photo of Lee with his sash and sword, taken by the same photographer.

tumblr_nqua6cKuH31rd3evlo1_1280.jpg

Back