Osceola Raid

Read it, thought it was a good article, not very flattering to Lane or his men, but hard to put lipstick on a pig, and the pig was murder, arson, robbery

Not sure if I was aware before some of the discrepancy in civilian deaths comes from being confused with Morristown, another town he also pillaged and burned on the same raid, and where he had 12 civilians rounded up and shot.

Last edited:
As you suggest, Archie, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it won't improve his looks. Jim Lane was...well...let's just say I don't have time to write and the rest of you don't have time to read about my utter disdain and contempt for him.

For the benefit of our readers who are unfamiliar with Osceola, it was a river port city at the head of navigation on the Osage River. In September of 1861, Price had already defeated Jim Lane's cavalry at the battle of Dry Wood Creek in Vernon County, Missouri. He had won at Wilson's Creek near Springfield and he had moved north to besiege and capture the Union garrison at Lexington, Missouri.

Lane led a raid behind Price, striking at Osceola. The town of about 2,500 residents was not a military stronghold and was not suspecting an attack. However, it was in a relatively pro-southern part of Missouri. Lane's men sacked the town, shelled the courthouse, and robbed the county and the banks of their money. A wagon train of plunder was stolen from residents and merchants. Lane's personal take included a fine piano and a quantity of silk dresses (my...how noble and dignified of him.) The citizens were rounded up and nine men were given a drum head court martial, after which they were executed. Then the town was put to the torch. Only two buildings survived. 200 slaves were taken back to Kansas and presumably freed. Also taken to Kansas (these figures from wiki) were 350 horses, 400 head of cattle, 3,000 bags of flour, most of the wagons and carriages in the town, plus the plunder from stores and houses.

A number of Lane's men got so drunk they could not stay astride their horses, and had to ride back west atop the plunder in the wagons and carriages.

When it was all over, two buildings remained and most of the population became immediate refugees. Only about 200 citizens remained. The town's population has never recovered to its 1861 size.

There must be a special corner of hell reserved for Jim Lane. I can envision his soul shackled to the soul of Bloody Bill Anderson for all eternity.

Wow - I just went to look him up on Wikipedia.

"Lane was criticized for his violence in Osceola, most severely by General Henry Halleck, then Commander of the Department of Missouri. Of their actions, he would state: "The course pursued by those under Lane and Jennison has turned against us many thousands who were formerly Union men. A few more such raids will make this State unanimous against us." Thus, Lane's Brigade was ended."

Lane was immoral and a cold-hearted killer for sure. He committed suicide in 1866 but it didn't say why he decided to do that.

Wow - I just went to look him up on Wikipedia.

"Lane was criticized for his violence in Osceola, most severely by General Henry Halleck, then Commander of the Department of Missouri. Of their actions, he would state: "The course pursued by those under Lane and Jennison has turned against us many thousands who were formerly Union men. A few more 3such raids will make this State unanimous against us." Thus, Lane's Brigade was ended."

Lane was immoral and a cold-hearted killer for sure. He committed suicide in 1866 but it didn't say why he decided to do that.
Osceola is infamous as it was the largest town destroyed, however
Lane did the same to several others on same raid, in robbery,murder, and arson.Morristown, Papinsville, and West Point

Osceola is infamous as it was the largest town destroyed, however
Lane did the same to several others on same raid, in robbery,murder, and arson.Morristown, Papinsville, and West Point
Lane was an immoral, murderous, pillaging, self-promoting opportunist. He was a common thief, and I think he was crazier than an outhouse rat. I don't think his insanity excuses his actions. He knew right from wrong. When it came to terrorizing, robbing, murdering and burning out Missourians, he just didn't care.

Lane was an immoral, murderous, pillaging, self-promoting opportunist. He was a common thief, and I think he was crazier than an outhouse rat. I don't think his insanity excuses his actions. He knew right from wrong. When it came to terrorizing, robbing, murdering and burning out Missourians, he just didn't care.

The article quoted historians pointing out he was immoral opportunist. From the Mexican War to moving to Kansas he was pro slavery Democrat who had said " I'd as soon own a ****** as a mule" Only sensing personal political opportunity in Kansas did he switch. Sad thing is this the type of man Lincoln choose to support.

But Lincoln supported Blair out here who was about as a blatant racist one could be........ Honest Abe always struck me more a consummate politician willing to cozy up to the devil if there is a short term gain to it.......,

Last edited:
The article quoted historians pointing out he was immoral opportunist. From the Mexican War to moving to Kansas he was pro slavery Democrat who had said " I'd as soon own a ****** as a mule" Only sensing personal political opportunity in Kansas did he switch. Sad thing is this the type of man Lincoln choose to support.

But Lincoln supported Blair out here who was about as a blatant racist one could be........ Honest Abe always struck me more a consummate politician willing to cozy up to the devil if there is a short term gain to it.......,
People don't like to think of Abe that way--not even me. However, he went wading in the swamp a few times, and he came out with mud stuck to him.

This is certainly true, though it is unpopular to point out. Lincoln's actions in regard to Missouri owed more to political expediency than concern for the State's citizens. I'm convinced that Lincoln would wholeheartedly agree with Lyon's affirmation to see every man, woman and child in Missouri dead before negotiating with the State Gov't. concerning it's relationship with the Federal Gov't.

Last edited:
Back