OR's, Dyer's compedium, official atlast, etc...

jasonc

Cadet
No doubt some of you are aware of these and use them quite often. I was wondering if any of you have the cd/dvd set of the or's, compendium, southern historical society papers and the atlast and all that stuff that is recent on the market. If not, do any of you know where online any of this stuff could be? I heard the compendium is available online and perhaps the atlas somewhere but have yet to find it. I know of two spots where the or's can be accessed but you can't see the index to find the page number u need, nor can one see the "new 100 volumes" that is the suppliment to the or. By my math that makes the complete OR of army and navy and suppliment to be about 249-269 volumes. Reckon I can graduate get the ph.D., make enough money to buy that and read it all before death? doubtful but I think I'll try it
happy.gif
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any cd/dvd roms of source material that I didn't talk about is also welcome if you want to tell me if it's worth purchase or not.
I am to you all,
Your most humble and obdt Srvt.
Jason Corlew

Here's a link you might find useful from our old bookstore:

The Civil War CD-ROM: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies by Guild Press of Indiana

http://civilwartalk.com/cwt_main/resources/bookstore/cw_reference.htm#cdrom

Quite possibly the most revolutionary — and popular — Civil War research tool currently on the market has been recently upgraded to a 1.55 version. It contains:

All 127 volumes of the Official Records of the Civil War (sans indices)
Fox's Regimental Losses
Dyer's Compendium
Guide Index to the Official Records by National Archives historians
The User's Guide to the Official Records by Alan and Barbara Aimone
-- all on one disk.

There is also a link where you can buy it a Barnes & Noble for about $70

First off, thanks for the info.

I hear there is something with all of those mentioned above plus the southern historical society papers, the official atlas, and some other stuff. maybe campaigns of the civil war or something else I can't recall. The medical records Perhaps? anyway what I was told was that it was all on one disk. Is this in fact true? Seems like a blessing if so to purchase one time all of the or's plus the others at once instead of so many different disks which will undoubtedly cost more eventually. anyone know for sure?

The Complete Civil War on DVD-ROM
All of our Civil War records and biography CD-ROMs are now available on one fully searchable DVD-ROM!
No more multiple disks! Now you can search The Civil War CD-ROMs (Official Records of the Army and Navy), Southern Historical Society
Papers, Confederate Military History, Campaigns of the Civil War, The Confederate Generals Speak, and the Atlas of the Official Records with one swoop. Also, included with this collection is the Medical and Surgical Records of the Union and Confederate Armies available only in this DVD-ROM format! A $350 value for only $200! Place a pre-release order and get a 10% discount! (Current Guild Press CD-ROM owners also will receive a $50 discount with proof of purchase)
ON CD are:
The Civil War CD-ROM (Army)
The Civil War CD-ROM (II Navy)
Atlas of the Official Records of the Civil War
Campaigns of the Civil War
Confederate Military History CD-ROM
Southern Historical Society Papers I don't have Campaigns or the Atlas, but plan
on getting them this year.
Unless I buy the DVD, even though I don't have DVD yet. Even at 350 its a great deal, but much better at 200
happy.gif

http://www.guildpress.com/index.html

Man I reckon that is indeed quite a deal. Still missing the compendium in all of that and the supplements. I was so close to buying that dvd tonight when I read that but I just can't bring myself to do it because I know eventually the 100 volume supplements to the OR's will be available as well.
I think to reward myself if/when I ever get a Ph.D., will be to finally read the complete O.R. with supplements put in chronological order from beginning to end.

Is any of that stuff that is on that dvd (other than the O.R. of course) available on a website? I heard the dyer's is but have not found it.

What about the Confederate Veteran? That on CD or dvd-rom yet?

I am to you all,
your most humble and obidt Svt.,
Ja. Crlew

Jason
H-Bar has a cd for 41.95 for the 1st 10 years of Confederate Veteran. The also list a lot of other books on cd. Have not bought any of their cds, but was told that they are very hard to use. Have no personal experience with them so your on your own. If you do get something from them how about somekind of review for the rest of us?
http://www.hbaronline.com

Confederate Veteran was online at one time but very confusing to use, once tried a search, then found after it was finished, I was still downloading material from the site. Found they were complete articles from the site, and being fed into my cache, not into a viewing browser.
I did save all I could find but still not got them back in order.
Anyway, the link no longer works

As for the OR supplements, Broadfoot is almost out of them, and presently claims no intention to reprint. They didn't even comment on doing a CD. If one is done, I would really prefer it being done by Guild Press.
Which 'compendium' are you referring to?

I have heard no talk of anybody doing a cd for the supplements and from what I am told, GuildPress cd's of civil war source material are a breeze to use. I hear the atlas is great because you can zoom in and out and also make notations. That's great if it is indeed true. If I do decide to get any cd from anyone I will do a thorough review for everybody.

The compendium I was speaking of is Dyer's compendium. I can't believe Sherman once told him that he saw nothing could that come out of that work.

As far as the CV being confusing, I don't doubt that at all. Many many stories were sent in to the publishers and on some occasions the papers were lying around for weeks and when printing time came, they just picked up some and printed the stories. Some concerted efforts were made on specific topics such as the Sultana incident and others but I doesn't suprise me that confusion and mess of the original publication would be continued with any efforts to allow one to sift through things for research. The hardback bound volumes that exist today are complicated also but not bad if one takes the time to double cross reference indexes and such. Personally, that is why I want these cd's of civil war source material because I don't have the money or space for the bound books, and I would love to review the stuff when I have the time, not when the state archives of tn has the time.

Perhaps someone or all of us should write messages to the fine folks at Guild and propose a cd of the supplements. If any of you have seen them from broadfoot, you will probably feel as I do that they are treasure of material that was ommitted from the original OR's. Thanks for all the info so far and the info yet to come from you all.

Jason Corlew

Dyers "Compendium of the War of the Rebellion" is included in the Guild Press CD-Rom
I believe that Broadfoot owns the publishing rights to the Supplements, and would do the cd or set if done.
I didn't find the 40 volume hb of CV in the local lib confusing to use, although it is a more recent printing. Each vol. has its own index and there is a 3 vol. index which also makes using the set easy. Set I would love to own.
However, when refering to the set, it must be remembered that the first issue was in 1893, 28 years after the war started, so many 'reminiscencess' are 'suspect' and as the years move on, are 'suspect' even more.

Back