Original Remington Zouave

kenysd

Private
and of course, the original sword bayonet was a must>
enjoy..Ken

IMG_0512.jpg

up in the air if any saw service in the CW. probably not but some pictures show them with men in uniform.
anyway, they, like a lot of the Colts etc. were made but never made it to the field, or went to militias, or guard duty. but I look at all of that as CW duty.

up in the air if any saw service in the CW. probably not but some pictures show them with men in uniform.
anyway, they, like a lot of the Colts etc. were made but never made it to the field, or went to militias, or guard duty. but I look at all of that as CW duty.
To my knowledge there are no contemporary pictures of these in the field or even out of the arsenal, I would be very interested in such pictures. One of the best looking long arms of the period, after the M1841, IMHO.

Beautiful Piece. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Too bad some "old school" museum had to drive nails in attaching the brass plate. Not the way it came "out of the box" Today that would never be done.

The Cland Fuller collection all had brass tags nailed on this way. Made me just shake my head.

I just came back from the Fuller museum in GA. wonderful group of pristine CW guns.
and ALL of them had the museum tag. I left it on mine because I think it's part of it's history and the reason it looks so good now.
The Fuller guide said, when I asked if they ever sold any guns, said Never. So I wonder if the tag was from Fuller, probably not.
it's part of the guns 'travels' in the last century plus...and I have no right to change it...Ken

I just came back from the Fuller museum in GA. wonderful group of pristine CW guns.
and ALL of them had the museum tag. I left it on mine because I think it's part of it's history and the reason it looks so good now.
The Fuller guide said, when I asked if they ever sold any guns, said Never. So I wonder if the tag was from Fuller, probably not.
it's part of the guns 'travels' in the last century plus...and I have no right to change it...Ken
This type of tag was popular in the 40s-60s for collectors as well as museums.

As strange as it seems, at some point in your collecting; you reach a point where you have to start keeping actual records-heaven forbid (what it is, location of where it is in your collection, where purchased, how much purchased for, provenance etc.). And you start to wonder: What have I done... :banghead: but then what a way to go. :dance:

I would go with the brass tags also (rather classy), but they are kind of hard to attach to a cannonball. :nah disagree:

Last edited:
As strange as it seems, at some point in your collecting; you reach a point where you have to start keeping actual records-heaven forbid (what it is, location of where it is in your collection, where purchased, how much purchased for, provenance etc.). And you start to wonder: What have I done... :banghead: but then what a way to go. :dance:

I would go with the brass tags also (rather classy), but they are kind of hard to attach to a cannonball. :nah disagree:
My Aunt kept such a book on all the furniture pieces in their home. She had original receipts, historical paperwork on pieces, what was paid for the piece, the dealer and when it was purchased.

She showed me where the book was located so when the time came I’d know to share that info with her son.
When she went to an assisted living facility and the house needed to be gone through, I offered to help as my cousin had lost his brother earlier and I knew it was a lot to go through and handle. Plus, I knew we had Aunt Jean’s secret weapon of information.

Once I arrived in Atlanta, I went to go get the book only to find that a well meaning family member had thrown out everything in the buffet.

So, do keep your book but, I’d suggest a copy should go to the bank box or a hard drive if you’re more tech inclined.

I went cross eyed determining the patterns and worth on the export porcelain before it was all over...

I feel that way about my best-condition CW longarm, a converted-to-percussion M.1840 Springfield musket. Although it does have pitting around the nipple, the stock is virtually pristine. I imagine considering what it is, it probably saw only light duty, possibly arming some Northern Home Guardsman.

There is a museum here in Michigan that when it opened, to display some guns, holes were drilled thru the receivers so screws could attach them to the wall. The same museum used ink on civil war letters to list the museum number. So 2 small nails and a brass tag are not so bad.

I owned a reproduction of one of these back in 1960 or so, made in Belgium I think. Only a reproduction but I loved it, and great fun to shoot.

John

Back