Ami's SOA Original Quotes by CivilWarTalk Board Members

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Quotes about the Civil War by Civil War Talk Members

With apologies to Matthew, 19:24.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a Southern Apologist to admit that slavery had anything to do with the Civil War."
Unionblue 3:30:07.

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
unionblue said:
With apologies to Matthew, 19:24.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a Southern Apologist to admit that slavery had anything to do with the Civil War."

Unionblue 3:30:07.
You are at the very least consistent! Not all Southerners apologize for the effort in the war. Slavery as you know had MUCH to do with the war, just not ALL to do with the war.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Originally posted by Ole.

"A state seceding from the United States is not a nation accepting ambassadorships and restoring to its ownership any foreign territory within its boundaries. It's simply a petulant part of the Union holding it's breath and turning blue."
Posted on the 'Who Invaded Whom?' thread, March 13, 2007, 04:35 PM, post #4.

Classic.

Last edited:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Originaly posted by JohnW in E.TN,

"I liken the slavery of the 19th century to the legal practice of abortion today. Is it a great evil? Many would say yes. However, like it or not, the practice is still legal and accepted in this country. In two centuries would it be fair to brand all Americans as murderers or accessories to murder because they didn't fight to end this brutal practice, or because they tolerated its existence?"
Posted on the "Southern Aristorcracy" thread, June 5, 2007, 9:40 AM, post #397.

Thoughtful.

Last edited:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
PINCKNEYUSMCRET,

I started this thread in order to record some original quotes made by this board's members concerning the Civil War, the one's that made me think, ponder and laugh. In other words, the ones I consider true gems of original thinking on the subject we all love to talk and argue about.

I have no objection to anyone coming here and listing their observations, thoughts and views over the quotes listed here and invite other members to post what they feel is an original quote by their fellow board members.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Posted by PINCKNEYUSMCRET,

"Unfortunately as with most thing done with passion and little thought or not enough thought, the lack of a supply chain was not top on the Confederate Governments list in the beginning. However just like teenagers having babies reality sets in. They didn't think it would last as long as it did, and they just couldn't support it and there were no grand parents to help."
Posted on the "Logistics and Anaconda Plan" thread, June 7, 2007, 03:41 PM, post #37.

True.

Last edited:

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
R. C. Cave

Does the propriety of discussing the causes of the War Between the States belong exclusively to Northern writers and speakers? Did the South, when she laid down her arms, surrender the right to state in self-justification her reasons for taking them up? If not, I fail to see how it can be improper, when perpetuating the memory of the Confederate dead, at least to attempt to correct false and injurious representations of their aims and deeds and to hand down their achievements to posterity as worthy of honorable remembrance.

Robert Catlett Cave ,1911

Two excellent quotes, Larry. Prophetic, arent they? Thats what I love about this site! Where else could I find this! Thank you. Just about the time I get my fill of someone calling Gen. Lee the "marble man", I get another reason to believe he definitly ranks up there with the greatest of all Americans.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Gentlemen,

There seems to be some confusion over this thread and its stated purpose.

This thread was to be dedicated to the quotes of CURRENT or past forum members and some of the more memorable quotes THEY had made in our numerous threads.

This was not intended for quotes by famous figures or historical ones, as other threads in this section of the forum are set up for that.

This thread is for us, the current and new members of the board and what YOUR memorable quotes were or what struck you as a good quote by one of your fellow board members.

Get it?:smile:

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Last edited:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Posted by ole on the Fort Sumter thread, Post #10, on 11-02-2006, 02:43PM (In reply to the quote shown here).

"Number of Federal soldiers and employees killed or injured from the time of the Secession of South Carolina (20 Dec 1860) thru the bombardment of Fort Sumter (12 April 1861) - 0."

"Nobody got killed or injured when I robbed the banks, so I should get a pass. Apples and dill pickles."
:smile:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
To All,

If anyone wants to know why I am such a pain-in-the-butt about presenting history in an acurate, truthful, factual manner, this quote says it all:

"He who controls the past, controls the future; he who controls the present controls the past."
Wish this was my quote, but I saw it on another forum.

Unionblue

Last edited:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
New original quote by a new board member.

By timewalker on the "Money; THE Cause?" thread, March 22, 2008, post #764.

"The most dangerous man is not the one who is wrong 100% of the time. The dangerous man is the one who sprinkles enough truth in with the outrageous lies to get people to believe the lies by pointing to the truths."
Down right scary. And true.

Unionblue

Last edited:
To All,

If anyone wants to know why I am such a pain-in-the-butt about presenting history in an acurate, truthful, factual manner, this quote says it all:

"He who controls the past, controls the future; he who controls the present controls the past."

Wish this was my quote, but I saw it on another forum.

Unionblue
Actually, this quote was from George Orwell. And its definitely a keeper.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!