Origin of a Bayonet

Schuster

Cadet
Hi I have what I think is a bayonet from the civil
war The only markings on it are at the bottom. 506? I’ll attach a pic. Thanks. Schuster
C1CBD273-05C6-4FFC-8A41-C6F0153E919A.jpeg

Could you post a picture of the whole bayonet? Also, any markings on the blade.
Thanks in advance.

Hi I have what I think is a bayonet from the civil
war The only markings on it are at the bottom. 506? I’ll attach a pic. Thanks. Schuster View attachment 388848
Were going need to see the whole bayonet to include the channel slot and both side of the blade at the guard. Looking forward to seeing them.

Welcome to the forums from Central Ohio. I look forward to seeing additional photos and what our experts have to say.

Welcome to the group from middle Alabama, it is good to have you join us. It appears to be a sword bayonet, but additional pictures would help nail down which one.

1842 french sword bayonet

Its hard to say if it was even used in the CW.

Hello,

This is a bit late, but I think under the "506" number, I can see the remnants of a crown over "R" mark and a couple letters, though they are hard to make out. It's an oddity that I have seen on a couple of these bayonets that I am left without an explanation for. I have one with similar markings, but not a single French mark on it. On asking around in forums, I was told that it may have been a Belgian made 1842 bayonet copy (possibly for a minie rifle) for export. Where it might have been exported to, I have no idea. Here is mine. It might be a little hard to make out, but I think you can make out the similar markings here on the pommel of mine. There's also a crown over "R" mark on the ricasso as well as the PDL maker's mark on the reverse ricasso. I haven't had any luck finding more information on this, but maybe somebody here will know more. Pommel markings on mine are from top to bottom "1785", "FD", and the crown over "R" mark.

Best regards,

20210515_163109.jpg

20210515_162907.jpg

20210515_162849.jpg

Hello,

This is a bit late, but I think under the "506" number, I can see the remnants of a crown over "R" mark and a couple letters, though they are hard to make out. It's an oddity that I have seen on a couple of these bayonets that I am left without an explanation for. I have one with similar markings, but not a single French mark on it. On asking around in forums, I was told that it may have been a Belgian made 1842 bayonet copy (possibly for a minie rifle) for export. Where it might have been exported to, I have no idea. Here is mine. It might be a little hard to make out, but I think you can make out the similar markings here on the pommel of mine. There's also a crown over "R" mark on the ricasso as well as the PDL maker's mark on the reverse ricasso. I haven't had any luck finding more information on this, but maybe somebody here will know more. Pommel markings on mine are from top to bottom "1785", "FD", and the crown over "R" mark.

Best regards,

View attachment 401342

View attachment 401343

View attachment 401344
The belgian minie bayonets have a bit of a straighter blade, and the crosspiece ends both face the blade
20220327_005620.jpg
20220327_005747.jpg
20220327_005900.jpg

Back