Oregon joins the anti-flag movement

John Winn

Major
It really was a matter of time but last Friday the Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries published a position paper recommending that Confederate flags (they didn't specify a particular one) should not be displayed in historic cemeteries (a designation made by the Legislature). They said:

"The Confederate flag is a symbol of treason, oppression, racism, and dishonor to the USA. It is the flag of the enemy of the USA. And over the decades since the US Civil War has become a symbol that makes many people feel unwelcome and unsafe. We do not support allowing flags in historic cemeteries that promote systemic racism, fear, and oppression of anyone."

The Commission has no authority to enforce their recommendation but I'd guess it'll become policy anyway. I'm not aware of anybody putting out Confederate flags (of any sort) in historic cemeteries but I do wonder as why else publish said recommendation. There are some 60 known Confederate veterans buried in Oregon historic cemeteries. The cemetery where I volunteer has two.

In 'my' cemetery we decided some time ago that we'd just honor those veterans along with all the others with a U.S. flag. Our decision, though, was not idealistic or politically motivated. We reasoned that 1) we didn't know how the veterans or their relatives felt about their service 2) they don't have military stones 3) Confederate flags could invite vandalism 4) they were Americans like all the others 5) we wanted to recognize them as veterans.

I think we made the right decision but I can't get behind the position paper's obvious leftist bias. I'd certainly not have been opposed to people putting out Confederate flags on graves with a military stone. I guess maybe it's best as otherwise we'd have riots in historic cemeteries like we're having in Portland.

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
In our local cemetery in downtown Greenville SC, there are about 400 Confederates buried. We used to keep battle flags on the graves and replace them twice a year since they tend to get weathered and frayed. The board that runs the cemetery recently decided, possibly in response to a single complaint about the flags being on the graves that the city council said they could do nothing about as it was a free speech issue, to ban ALL flags in the cemetery, except for about a week around memorial day. Yes, that means they were willing to ban the United States flag so that they would also be able to ban the Confederate battle flag, since they could not legally single one group out. That's how far some of these groups are willing to go.

Quaama

Sergeant
All of this begs the question - What has our country become?

As one who is looking on from afar the whole thing is bewildering. It may have started with a few Confederate statues but it now seems open season on everything including other historic monuments and now historic cemeteries to the point where, as said above, "ALL flags in the cemetery" are banned.
In a private discussion with another CWT member I told her how I saw in a news report here that your gun shops were down to about 20% of their normal stock due to a surge in gun purchases. She responded to say that in her area "Gun shops have sold out of guns and the there is absolutely no ammunition to be purchased. As in absolutely none available." This looks like a very dangerous situation and, in news reports I have seen, I see nothing that indicates the situation will abate. It has gone way beyond objections to some Confederate statues and now seems to have degenerated into a free-for-all. Disrespect in cemeteries seems especially heinous.

As one who is looking on from afar the whole thing is bewildering. It may have started with a few Confederate statues but it now seems open season on everything including other historic monuments and now historic cemeteries to the point where, as said above, "ALL flags in the cemetery" are banned.
In a private discussion with another CWT member I told her how I saw in a news report here that your gun shops were down to about 20% of their normal stock due to a surge in gun purchases. She responded to say that in her area "Gun shops have sold out of guns and the there is absolutely no ammunition to be purchased. As in absolutely none available." This looks like a very dangerous situation and, in news reports I have seen, I see nothing that indicates the situation will abate. It has gone way beyond objections to some Confederate statues and now seems to have degenerated into a free-for-all. Disrespect in cemeteries seems especially heinous.
Well when people start talking about defunding the police, not exactly surprising people start taking steps to be able defend themselves and homes.

Don't see how they can do much about flags in reality.

MackCW

Private
The problem is it's a slippery slope and we can acknowledge that some are offended by the flag because of what they perceive it to represent.

Then it goes on to historic markers and regimental positions on battlefields that were placed by the veterans themselves. This becomes very troubling.

Cycom

Corporal
The problem is it's a slippery slope and we can acknowledge that some are offended by the flag because of what they perceive it to represent.

Then it goes on to historic markers and regimental positions on battlefields that were placed by the veterans themselves. This becomes very troubling.
We’re on the slope and the precipice is near. People need to wake up, smell the filth in the air, and utterly reject these totalitarians.

P00dy

Cadet
All of this begs the question - What has our country become?
Oregon has lost it's mind and needs to stop being this hateful. But I will still be proud of my Great great grandfathers service in what he thought was honorably protecting His lands in Arkansas when the Union troops came south. It was a very different time and place and shouldn't be eliminated as they are trying to do. Current events have zero to do with Historical references and How life was for my ancestors.

Will Carry

First Sergeant
Yes, they were undoubtedly traitors to Great Britain. But having won their rebellion they are not considered traitors to the United States. I'm a citizen of the United States.
Many of the soldiers that served in the CSA were not Social Justice Warriors. They were just men who got caught up in this 'Rich man's war. Poor man's fight." They were just ordinary men. They fought for many reasons. To condemn them all, is unjust. Of course I'm a hypocrite, but whenever someone calls my kin traitors, it makes me want to give a rebel yell. No worries Tom, I'm smiling.