Ordnance officer questions

Billy1977

Sergeant
Hello everybody, I was wondering if someone could tell me what Ordnance officer shoulder straps looked like. Were they plain black/dark blue for staff? Or did they have the little "flaming shell" insignia in the center of them or conversely have "O.D." initials on them? And does anyone have any photos of ordnance officers in the field? Many thanks to whomever can help me with this.

Haven´t seen any ACW shoulder straps with an O.D. device, though of course this doesn´t need to say anything. But apparently there already was the flaming grenade hat insignia.

Last edited:
Thanks! On the ordnance officer's dress uniform, what color was the flaming grenade device in the center of their epaulettes? Silver? And was the seam welt on their pants crimson? Thanks again, this information is a big big help.

Ordnance officers were assigned to division and above echelons, while those on staff at brigade and regiment were usually officers assigned "ordnance duties" from other branches. Karl Rubis, the Ordnance Branch Historian at the USOAOS, has written that at the height of the war there were only 64 officers in the Ordnance Department.

Back