Restricted "Orange Confederate monument will include 32 rebel flags"

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

rpkennedy

Lt. Colonel
Member of the Year
You should also understand the internal divisions in the Border States. It is true that in three of the four Border States, some important political leaders sided with the Confederacy. A third of Kentuckians who fought in the war did so on the side of the Confederates.

Within the Border States, slaveowners were more likely than their neighbors to support the Confederacy, but some slaveowners in Kentucky supported the Union, believing that secession endangered slavery.

Missouri and Maryland passed emancipation legislation before the end of the war, Kentucky was resistant to ending slavery til the last.
There is a new book titled For Slavery and Union which argues that Kentucky was both pro-Union and pro-slavery, wanting to walk the middle road, in the old Whig tradition of the early to mid nineteenth century. I would recommend it to understand Kentucky during and after the war.

R

W. Richardson

Captain
But here's thing- usually the things that the SCV does that end up here on this forum and in the news reports are the controversial things- the things that are newsworthy because a lot of people have differing opinions on it- which is what you guys got here. I bet the SCV does tons of things per year that no one ever comments on or no newspaper has issue with or perhaps that people on this forum approve of but it doesn't make it on here because it's not interesting or debatable enough to make it into the news or a whole thread.

Does that make any sense?

It makes very good sense. IMO though anything the SCV does is made in to a CONTROVERSIAL issue because many people wish to discredit them. The SCV's existence is made to be CONTROVERSIAL, all of this because of wanting to honor their Confederate heritage.

Respectfully,

William

DanF

Captain
There is a new book titled For Slavery and Union which argues that Kentucky was both pro-Union and pro-slavery, wanting to walk the middle road, in the old Whig tradition of the early to mid nineteenth century. I would recommend it to understand Kentucky during and after the war.

R
My Kentucky ancestors were slaveholders and unionists.

Tin cup

Captain
Seems like it's impossible to honor the Confederate Dead WITHOUT having flags. Right now Confederate flags are being used more as "In your face" and as a kind of "up yours" statement. Flaggers and there ilk are partly to blame, but that blame does go beyond the "flaggers". I just see the emphasis on "Flags", and NOT the Confederate Soldier, with this monument in Orange.

The Confederate Flags that DO matter the most are the originals in Collections and Museums.

Kevin Dally

wilber6150

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
deep in the Mohawk Valley of Central New York
No, I just told what that particular thing seemed to me. But I'm glad that you came up wilber, and made my point. I was just thinking of you when I was typing that "someone." Predictablicy is the thing I like in friends 
Hmmm so no one said, but you felt urged to post .....Wait right here, I have to find the instructions for that strawman kit... lol

By the way, they are border states some of whom stayed loyal to the Union and some went to the Confederacy.. That label has nothing to do on whether they allowed slavery, since they all did anyway..

Last edited:

Mild53

First Sergeant
Since both Missouri and Kentucky had Confederate representatives in exile, it is therefore a matter of opinion as to who recognized whom and why. Those Missouri and Kentucky patriots that stood by the South are just as entitled to a star or column as anyone else without the blessing of some outside sanction or approval.
By celebrating the confederacy, you demean our country and all it now stands for .

Mild53

First Sergeant
Orange has a troubled history of violence, much of it revolving around race. There were reports of murders of suspected abolition sympathizers in 1860/61, and the town had a well-known lynching tree on the main street downtown for many years, until some local business leaders decided that particular landmark wasn't actually so good for business and cut it down. Orange is alleged to have been a "sundown town," like a number of small communities in that area. With that historical baggage, it's not surprising that many in that community view the placement of this particular monument, with its almost three dozen Confederate flags, on MLK Drive to be delibrate provocation.
Thank you for this information, it is very telling.

Mild53

First Sergeant
Did you miss the part about this being a Confederate monument? Are there Confederate flags at Federal monuments up your way? Do you think there should be?
So there is no place in this monument for honoring souhern patriots that were loyal to the United States?

Mild53

First Sergeant
So there is no place in this monument for honoring souhern patriots that were loyal to the United States?
Yes, there is a grave stone in Maine for a confederate soldier that was sent here by mistake. Each year, a new confderate flag is placed on the grave - to honor the man and his service.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
[QUOTE="Mild53, post: 1091883, member: 4773"]So there is no place in this monument for honoring souhern patriots that were loyal to the United States?[/QUOTE]

On a Confederate Monument? :unsure:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
It makes very good sense. IMO though anything the SCV does is made in to a CONTROVERSIAL issue because many people wish to discredit them. The SCV's existence is made to be CONTROVERSIAL, all of this because of wanting to honor their Confederate heritage.

Respectfully,

William
William,

And it appears there are times the SCV, at least portions of that organization, goes out of its way to invite controversy.

Unionblue

W. Richardson

Captain
William,

And it appears there are times the SCV, at least portions of that organization, goes out of its way to invite controversy.

Unionblue

You are correct UB and I do not deny that at all.........................But..................

The SCV get's crucified regardless of what it does. Something as simple as placing Confederate flags on deserving graves becomes an uproar, actions brought on mostly by revenge minded people, or ones with an agenda.

Respectfully,

William