NF Opinions on best book to buy to help new collector make an informative purchase of Civil War firearm

Non-Fiction

dbrown0398

Cadet
I have been studying the American Civil War for most of my almost 47 years but have focused primarily on the battles, leaders, tactics, etc (and the specific part my ancestors units played in those battles) and I am now interested in adding some original Civil War era firearms to my collection and I was wondering what books would be advisable to own and use as reference to help me make an informative purchase. I am specifically interested in weapons that would have been used by the infantry and cavalry of the CSA (and since I am not a millionaire, it means that I will have to focus on weapons likely captured from the Union or in Southern arsenals before the war began as I don't see my wife letting me live long enough to appreciate a Griswold after she found out how much it cost). Any suggestions? Does anyone know if there are any books dedicated solely to Whitney rifles?

Thanks,
Derek

Welcome to CWT, Derek.

Others will suggest specific titles, but we have some very knowledgeable and experienced collectors here in the forums. I suspect that collectively they will give better guidance than any single published work.

Back