Opinion, could this be NBForrest?

View attachment 201648
Hi Group!
I am a new to this forum, and I wanted to make this post to get your opinion, since I would consider you folks the most knowledgeable regarding people of the civil war. I recently bought a 1/9th plate daguerreotype. There are no markings on it, so I do not know who the photographer was, nor where it came from originally. The dag was likely made during the mid-1850s. The subject, or person photographed however, looks remarkably like Nathan Bedford Forrest. This dag would have been made when he was a successful business man in Memphis. At this time, he would have been in his mid-30's, and would look a little younger and less "saddle-worn" than in the war photographs we are used to seeing of him. The hair, cheekbones, eyes, and general appearance looks like him. So here is the question...Do you think the person in this daguerreotype is Nathan Bedford Forrest?

Thanks!
Chuck _1865
I don't believe it is.

s-l300.jpg

It sure looks like it. The nose, the ears, the cheeks, the hair line.
Welcome! The hairline is exact too!

They do say the eyes are the window to the soul. I have to admit, I've often found NBF's eyes to be quite a startling feature in all his images, so that's where I would attempt to make the comparison here. And I don't think the eyes in this image are those of Nathan Bedford Forrest. My feeling is we are looking into a different soul.

But there are a couple where all that fierceness is gone - much different vibe, that's for sure.
I'd like to see those. As you say @diane , there is a fiereceness in his look that kind of holds you.

I remember as a kid, my father would just have to look at us a certain way - didn't even need to speak - and we knew the line had been drawn :laugh: Eyes are remarkable for all they can communicate.

Last edited:
Indeed so. There were no more children after her, either, because Mary Ann had a difficult delivery. Forrest wasn't going to risk losing her as well, even though they did want a big family. She was very much a pillar of strength for him and was the only one who could handle him in a temper outburst or a battle rage. Sometimes he couldn't come down from a battle and was downright dangerous - so his aides would send for Old Missus!

One notable thing about identifying Forrest photos is his slightly lazy left eye. Fanny had it, too, and so did Jesse and Aaron. The gentleman in the OP doesn't have it.

Back