Oops, big lump of your posts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Viper21

Sergeant Major
Here is a good article explaining the reality of treason trails of the Rebel Lee after the civil war.

https://www.civilwarprofiles.com/grant-protects-lee-from-treason-trial/

Grant stated Lee could not be tried for treason as long as he obeyed his parole that was given to the rebels at the time of surrender at Appox.

How can you be pardoned of something unless you are guilty of it?
Lee was never pardoned in his lifetime. Likewise, he was never convicted of treason. Therefore, he is not guilty of treason, & to say so, is blasphemous in my opinion :cool:

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
There is little doubt that Lee committed treason. As with any alleged crime, it is up to the Prosecutor to decide whether to pursue the case. The Federal government chose not to proceed because it would not be in the nation's best interest. It would have been a betrayal of the Appomattox surrender. Further, the venue for any trial would have been Virginia, where it was most unlikely that Lee would be found guilty.
Lee was not pardoned in his lifetime. It was only done as a political stunt in 1975.

GwilymT

Sergeant
What about the Diabolic Frenzies?

"The North is fighting for self-preservation as much as for Southern subjugation, the latter of which is now chiefly desired, because it involves the former. The time when, possessed of devils, it sought to exterminate the South in a fit of foaming, diabolic frenzy, has long since passed, and, in spite of Lincoln's proclamation, the clear, distinct object of the great mass of that nation in the further prosecution of this war is to save themselves from the overhanging avalanche of ruin which the success of the Southern cause must precipitate upon their heads." -Richmond Dispatch, February 17, 1863
I’m not sure what the Richmond Dispatch’s opinion of Northern motives in 1863 has to do with the question at hand unless you were hoping to show the earliest stages of Lost Cause ideology. Here’s what the Richmond Dispatch was saying about Virginia’s situation in April of ‘61:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/3205701/virginia_slaves_richmond_va_1861/

ebg12

Corporal
There is little doubt that Lee committed treason. As with any alleged crime, it is up to the Prosecutor to decide whether to pursue the case. The Federal government chose not to proceed because it would not be in the nation's best interest. It would have been a betrayal of the Appomattox surrender. Further, the venue for any trial would have been Virginia, where it was most unlikely that Lee would be found guilty.
Lee was not pardoned in his lifetime. It was only done as a political stunt in 1975.
Agreed...there is a difference between parole and pardon. the Rebels were paroled at Appox., and could be tried if the violated their parole terms.

Viper21

Sergeant Major
I did not know Lee was a God? Look at the terms of surrender that General Grant gave to Lee at Appox.
Learn something new everyday :cool:

Lee did apply to have his rights restored though:

"Being excluded from the provisions of amnesty & pardon contained in the proclamation of the 29th Ulto; I hereby apply for the benefits, & full restoration of all rights & privileges extended to those included in its terms. I graduated at the Mil. Academy at West Point in June 1829. Resigned from the U.S. Army April '61. Was a General in the Confederate Army, & included in the surrender of the Army of N. Va. 9 April '65."

https://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2005/spring/piece-lee.html

Potomac Pride

First Sergeant
Coercion was dependent on the existence of the Slave States.
Coercion was also dependent on the unwillingness of the Union to let the southern states peacefully secede. The southern states believed the Union was formed voluntarily and the states retained their sovereignty. Therefore, any attempt to maintain the Union by force was a violation of the sovereignty of the states.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Learn something new everyday :cool:

Lee did apply to have his rights restored though:

"Being excluded from the provisions of amnesty & pardon contained in the proclamation of the 29th Ulto; I hereby apply for the benefits, & full restoration of all rights & privileges extended to those included in its terms. I graduated at the Mil. Academy at West Point in June 1829. Resigned from the U.S. Army April '61. Was a General in the Confederate Army, & included in the surrender of the Army of N. Va. 9 April '65."

https://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2005/spring/piece-lee.html
It was lost in the bureaucracy and not acted upon, only to become part of the discussion in 1975.
Lee's Lost Application.jpg

James Lutzweiler

First Sergeant

archieclement

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I did not know Lee was a God? Look at the terms of surrender that General Grant gave to Lee at Appox.
Not being convicted of anything makes one a God? We have alot of gods then.

In our legal system one is innocent until proven guilty, so as far as our legal system is concerned he is innocent, If one respects our legal values he also would considered innocent.

As far individuals go they can believe in anything they want, as evidenced by believers of bigfoot, aliens, various conspiracy theories ect, I would imagine theres some who dont require actual convictions for guilt.....actually I know there has been as evidenced by lynch mobs though our history who had that mentality...…..so not everyone respects our legal values

ebg12

Corporal
Not being convicted of anything makes one a God? We have alot of gods then.

In our legal system one is innocent until proven guilty, so as far as our legal system is concerned he is innocent, If one respects our legal values he also would considered innocent.

As far individuals go they can believe in anything they want, as evidenced by believers of bigfoot, aliens, various conspiracy theories ect, I would imagine theres some who dont require actual convictions for guilt.....actually I know there has been as evidenced by lynch mobs though our history who had that mentality...…..
but didn't the terms of surrender at Appox. include a parole? A parole for what then, if not for treason?

archieclement

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
but didn't the terms of surrender at Appox. include a parole? A parole for what then, if not for treason?
Does it say Treason? Dont think so, the confederates still had forces in the field, a parole during the CW simply meant one wouldn't take up arms until exchanged. No different then confederates who were paroled at Vicksburg, they had to wait to be exchanged before taking up arms again

Suppose you think Pemberton was a god or all of the CSA forces at Vicksburg who Grant likewise paroled? Every surrender during the CW included a parole, including Union troops who had surrendered...…..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.