Oops, big lump of your posts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I think we've lost something important and unifying because we no longer venerate the Founders like we used to. I remember the famous painting of Washington crossing the Delaware was in the hallway of my elementary school opposite the offices, and we had a picture of Washington in my fifth grade class. This was in the late 70s/early 80s, so it wasn't really all that many decades ago. A lot has changed.
That was before we discovered they had feet of clay, a bunch of lawyers, politicians and slave owners long dead used by politicians to support all sorts of nefarious purposes.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
As many on this board already know, I am one of those who believe that without slavery there would have been significant difference, in gov't, culture or economy.

Another question I have asked repeatedly over the years, Without Slavery, would a traveler from Europe have been able to discern the significant differences in a village just across the border from each other, between Illinois and Ky(or Va. and Pa.) ? If so, what would they be?

As many on this board already know, I am one of those who believe that without slavery there would have been significant difference, in gov't, culture or economy.

Another question I have asked repeatedly over the years, Without Slavery, would a traveler from Europe have been able to discern the significant differences in a village just across the border from each other, between Illinois and Ky(or Va. and Pa.) ? If so, what would they be?
A very good and thoughtful question. Say more.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator

There was a tourist industry of sorts bringing British tourists to tour the slave South. Some wrote accounts of it. The North was not that interesting.

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
I believe, that they had almost everything in common, except Slavery.

Lincoln made an impassioned plead to those who were not dedicated to breaking the Union, about the common history and culture and how the current problems were more likely to be settled by the bonds of brotherhood and kinship, rather than as two foreign governments.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I believe, that they had almost everything in common, except Slavery.

Lincoln made an impassioned plead to those who were not dedicated to breaking the Union, about the common history and culture and how the current problems were more likely to be settled by the bonds of brotherhood and kinship, rather than as two foreign governments.
The Secessionists were as or more impassionate about being independent.

Both regions were mostly agricultural and most farm work depended on horses, mules and oxen for power. https://www2.census.gov/library/publications/decennial/1860/agriculture/1860b-09.pdf?#
Both sections were supplementing farm production with railroads. But the northern areas were more advance in that regard, because their rivers and canals froze for 4 months of the year, and because the rivers did not connect to the right locations.

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Best Integrated Writing
Volume 3 2016
Confederate Delusions: “King Cotton” and the Dream of Intervention
by Shane Hapner
Wright State University

This Article is brought to you for free and open access by CORE Scholar. It has been accepted for inclusion in Best Integrated Writing by an authorized editor of CORE Scholar. For more information, please contact corescholar@www.libraries.wright.edu, library-corescholar@wright.edu.

Dr. Swanson notes:
Mr. Hapner’s research paper examines the Confederacy’s efforts at cotton diplomacy in France and Britain during the Civil War. Although the subject is a familiar one to historians of the conflict, he managed to find a fresh interpretive angle (an astonishing thing for an undergraduate to do). This essay argues that on the eve of the war a southern economist had artificially inflated European dependence on southern cotton by cleverly misreading export statistics, and that the resulting report influenced Confederate officials and diplomatic policy. In addition to its novel argument, the paper is well written, logically organized, and grounded in a solid secondary source base. In sum, it is graduate-level work.

https://corescholar.libraries.wright.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1041&context=biw

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Attachments

Dear Fellow Posters,

My answer to this question is a resounding "No!" However, I am not launching this thread to argue my position. i wish to hear YOUR position.

If your answer is "Yes," you are welcome, of course, to post, though I pretty much already know what you will be saying (slavery, slavery slavery). But if you suspect that there is more to the story about "The Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union," I would especially enjoy hearing from you.

This question has been prompted by comments on other threads which seem to say that this document tells the whole story and that other statements in letters, Congressional documents, essays, etc. from 1845-1860 have little bearing on the subject. I don't see it that way. Do you?

Sincerely,

James

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
No, not the whole truth. Additional reasons can be found in the Address to the Slaveholding States.
Truth is a slippery historical concept. Secession was a political truth held by the leaders who influenced followers of it. Absolute truth it is not, but the absolute truth is not an attribute of advocates wishing to motivate a political movement.

This is realpolitik a game for adults - a system of politics or principles based on practical rather than moral or ideological considerations.

How about you start writing your opinions and backing them up with evidence... instead of asking everyone else to do your job for you.
Thank you for your reply.

First of all, I don't ask anyone to do my job for me. That remark was uncalled for. My job in this regard is already done and available on other posts. I explained that in the OP.

Nor is it my job to criticize anyone who complies with my request, unless perhaps (accent on "perhaps") a poster requests that. I have posed a simple question and I am interested in all answers that address it. I have not participated in this wonderful venue to teach anyone anything. I am here to learn and I have learned a lot.

One thing I will tell you is this: Had this document been presented to an orals committee at North Carolina State University for an advanced degree, it would not have passed or be published --except by a vanity press.

Peace,

James

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Thank you for your reply.

First of all, I don't ask anyone to do my job for me. That remark was uncalled for. My job in this regard is already done and available on other posts. I explained that in the OP.

Nor is it my job to criticize anyone who complies with my request, unless perhaps (accent on "perhaps") a poster requests that. I have posed a simple question and I am interested in all answers that address it. I have not participated in this wonderful venue to teach anyone anything. I am here to learn and I have learned a lot.

One thing I will tell you is this: Had this document been presented to an orals committee at North Carolina State University for an advanced degree, it would not have passed or be published --except by a vanity press.

Peace,

James
I suggest you don't complain when you are asking for help. We do ask for evidence here, be ready to provide it or just say it is just an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.