Oops, big lump of your posts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

ebg12

Corporal
It's funny, because Lincoln himself declared a blockade against the CSA, thereby giving immediate de facto recognition. Which is quite different from diplomatic recognition. So yes, Lincoln most certainly recognized the CSA. But please, do show me the 19th century source which supports your claim that diplomatic recognition is required for political independence. I'd really love to see it.
Lincoln declaration of a blockade of Southern Ports is not a de facto recognition of sovereignty for the CSA if he doesn't recognizes the Southern States in Rebellion; that is why did the Union flag still had the stars for the Southern States to show the nation and the world that the Southern States was still part of the Union? Lincoln only recognized the southern people were in rebellions, not the tates themselves.

Kelly

Corporal
Lincoln declaration of a blockade of Southern Ports is not a de facto recognition of sovereignty for the CSA if he doesn't recognizes the Southern States in Rebellion; that is why did the Union flag still had the stars for the Southern States to show the nation and the world that the Southern States was still part of the Union? Lincoln only recognized the southern people were in rebellions, not the tates themselves.

Except countries do not blockade their own ports. They close them (by Act of Congress in the US). The US, without a doubt, extended international recognition to the CSA by blockading its ports.

Last edited:

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
but so did other rebellions in others countries now and the past had, but that does not make them sovereign. What about being recognized as a nation by other nations. World opinion counts?
I take it that the United States didn't exist despite a declaration of independence on 4 July 1776 until French recognition on 6 February 1778.

ebg12

Corporal
Except countries do not blockade their own ports. They close them (by Act of Congress in the US). The US, without a doubt, extended international recognition to the CSA by blockading its ports.
wrong...marshal law allows it. Show my the code in military justice code where a blockade is not part of marshal law.

Kelly

Corporal
I take it that the United States didn't exist despite a declaration of independence on 4 July 1776 until French recognition on 6 February 1778.

Excellent point. The U.S. owes its existence to the Declaratory Theory of Statehood, and it's founding document announces it to all the world. Excellent, excellent point.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
And yet many southerners chose their state over their nation which was not common in the north.
All Americans at the time had more in common with their State than they did their nation.

But if one goes back to the early American colonies and Republic, we see even then, representatives saying they are not just Georgians or South Carolinian's, but Americans.

ebg12

Corporal
Nope. A country does not blockade its own ports. It closes them. No one argues this.
a Rose is a rose by any other name... the southern ports were blockade by marshal law to crush the rebellion
against the United States. Show my the code in the navy code books that state a blockage can't happen in a home port?

Kelly

Corporal
a Rose is a rose by any other name... the southern ports were blockade by marshal law to crush the rebellion
against the United States. Show my the code in the navy code books that state a blockage can't happen in a home port?

Under no circumstances does a nation blockade its own ports. That is a hostile act applicable only against a foreign foe.

Lost Cause

2nd Lieutenant
At least a third of the state felt so, that which became West Virginia. oops.
Some of the Confederate and border states, and even some northern states for that matter had areas with opposing allegiances. Justification for invasion? Granted West Virginia did secede from the Confederacy, and formed statehood under questionable circumstances.

ebg12

Corporal
Under no circumstances does a nation blockade its own ports. That is a hostile act applicable only against a foreign foe.
Did you forget about the part in the constitution about domestic enemies. Yes in many circumstances marshal law can block access to land and sea routes that rebellious citizens may take to act hostile upon their own government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!