Oops, big lump of your posts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
He thru everybody else in Prison. Even for what someone Thought or for Inaction. Breckinridge knew he was being sought for Arrest. He was forced out of KY. Look what happened to Vallandigham. Republicans viewed McClellan as a Traitor. Not much room for error!

I haven't seen where all of this happened in the South. Got to believe the Northerners where easily manipulated. Lincoln had to be the first leader of the Thought Police!
Then you haven't looked.

Southern Rights: Political Prisoners and The Myth of Confederate Constitutionalism, by Mark E Neely, Jr.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
We are very fortunate we didn't end up with a dictatorship as a result of Lincoln's actions. Many other nations have not been so fortunate when the man at the top seized powers to get through a crisis.
We are fortunate because Lincoln did not listen to those who wanted national elections suspended during the war and took steps to preserve this nation from those who would tear it apart with a form of dictatorship they were already comfortable with.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
"We will never know if Lincoln was right or justified in his legal actions any more than we will know whether Cromwell and his supporters were right to execute Charles I" is the statement in the post in this thread I responded too.
Thanks for your response.
We can all agree to that. But that has not stopped- and will not stop- the examination and assessment of his actions. Many things in life are unknowable but fascinating and subject to never-ending analysis.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Should War powers extend to your Political opponents? If he could of captured them, he would of thrown them in Prison. Breckenridge is a good example. Also Unionist who weren’t Republicans were treated as Traitors. He didn’t just attack Secessionist.

Too much emotion/opinion and not enough examples of hard historical fact to take seriously.

Many Historians are Lincoln Apologist.

More opinion. Are you sure you've never heard or read of a historian who didn't apologize for Lincoln?

That won’t last forever.

It will last far longer than the Confederacy ever did.
Thank God.

Unionblue

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
There was no emergency that required the new Congress to seat on March 4, 1861. Ft Sumter did not become an emergency until a month later.
How short-sighted of Lincoln not to anticipate the crisis!
Of course, had he called that special session on March 4, 1861, he would be criticized by the same people today for unnecessarily inflaming tensions.

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
There was no emergency that required the new Congress to seat on March 4, 1861. Ft Sumter did not become an emergency until a month later.
Oh? And 7 States leaving the Union didn’t matter then ? How about Missouri, riots in Baltimore, you really think he was out of the picture? I Don’t. You are not being realistic here.

Oh? And 7 States leaving the Union didn’t matter then ? How about Missouri, riots in Baltimore, you really think he was out of the picture? I Don’t. You are not being realistic here.
Apparently the Congress that was in session up until the day before his inauguration didn't think it was an emergency.

The Baltimore riots did not take place until over a month later.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
So we are clear about the 37th Congress, here are three important events:
March 4, 1861: 37th Congress convenes. Many Southern states are not represented; however, 2 of Louisiana's four representatives are present as are all of Missouri's and Kentucky's.
March 4, 1861: Abraham Lincoln inaugurated President of the United States.
April 12, 1861: Fort Sumter bombarded.
July 4, 1861: First Session of the 37th Congress begins in response to Lincoln's April 15, 1861, Proclamation. Galusha A. Groh elected Speaker.

jgoodguy

-*- Mime -*-
Thanks for your response.
We can all agree to that. But that has not stopped- and will not stop- the examination and assessment of his actions. Many things in life are unknowable but fascinating and subject to never-ending analysis.
Good point, but the sentence was taken out of context. the whole paragraph(below) is about using the present to judge or evaluate the past. We never see someone say Lincoln's actions were complicated, but they say Lincoln was wrong. Details are not important but just Lincoln was wrong. Details are rarely forthcoming, not is an understanding of the historical context because one-liners are preferred to details.

This is not to say that legal historians of the Civil War are predominantly presentist, or that they are only interested in whether Lincoln was right. This is to say that there is in much Civil War history a central presentist preoccupation that does not loom as large in any other era, namely, whether particular legal and constitutional actions were justified in some absolute sense. We historians do not generally ask whether Lord Grenville was right to issue the Stamp Act, or whether Jackson was right to crush the Bank of the United States or whether Wilson was right to sign the Treaty of Versailles. We do not, in other words, usually ask whether a historical actor was right or wrong by our lights. Yet we cannot resist asking this about legal actors during the Civil War, particularly Lincoln. I simply do not know if Lincoln was right to suspend the writ of habeas corpus, and I maintain we cannot answer this question historically. We might be able to explain why he suspended the writ, or the effects of its suspension then and afterwards. We can also bring to light the competing legal arguments made at the time, and explain why some won and others lost. But we cannot survey the sources and come to a definitive ruling on the merits on these central legal questions any more than we can come to definitive understanding of the original meaning of the due process clause. We will never know if Lincoln was right or justified in his legal actions any more than we will know whether Cromwell and his supporters were right to execute Charles I.

So we are clear about the 37th Congress, here are three important events:
March 4, 1861: 37th Congress convenes. Many Southern states are not represented; however, 2 of Louisiana's four representatives are present as are all of Missouri's and Kentucky's.
March 4, 1861: Abraham Lincoln inaugurated President of the United States.
July 4, 1861: First Session of the 37th Congress begins.
I believe that only the Senate convened as a special session called by the outgoing President Buchanan on the morning of Lincoln's inaugural and was scheduled to adjourn on March 28th. I don't believe that the House convened during that period and was not set to convene as was originally the Senate until December 1, 1861.

July 4, 1861: First Session of the 37th Congress begins in response to Lincoln's April 15, Proclamation. Galusha A. Groh elected Speaker.
I remain baffled as to why, in an age of railroads and telegraphs, that it took Congress three months to get back to Washington and respond to the state of war. Seems like an urgent situation to me.

I remain baffled as to why, in an age of railroads and telegraphs, that it took Congress three months to get back to Washington and respond to the state of war. Seems like an urgent situation to me.
The sessions of any Congress were scheduled to convene at the beginning of December and adjourn approximately six months later. The new 37th Congress was scheduled to convene at the beginning of December 1861 but President Buchanan convened the Senate in a special session hours before Lincoln's inauguration and they were scheduled to adjourn on March 28, 1861 well before Ft. Sumter had been fired on. It was popular for congressmen and their families to vacation away from home in other states and countries to escape the summer's hottest months, plus a couple of states had not even elected their candidates for the 37th Congress as of Lincoln's inauguration. When Ft. Sumter turned into a crisis during the first week of April, 37th Congress members were back at home, on vacation to other states or countries or had not been elected yet. When Lincoln decided to call an emergency session, enough time had to be given to locate the members of Congress and allow for them to make arrangements to prematurely return from wherever their travels took them. He had to make sure enough of them got the word and were able to return to have a quorum when Congress reconvened on July 4th.

James Lutzweiler

First Sergeant
The more I read from Posters who address the OP, the more I believe that the complaint of so many secessionists that the North and South were "so different" was nothing but certifiable hogwash designed to inflame secession impulses. I see similarities as 99% and differences as 1% --maybe.

Please keep adding to the mix, as you think of things.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!