Oops, big lump of your posts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpeter

1st Lieutenant
Retired Moderator
GxGrandparents killed in King Philip's War:
Lydia Adams, Richard Carder, John Gallup, John Leonard, John Stedman, Phineas Upham, that I know of. James Travis apparently was captured and held for two years.

One impact: as parts of these families moved into Pennsylvania following the Revolution 130 years later, they buried their first crop of deceased in unmarked graves - to prevent any suspicion they'd been weakened. OPSEC apparently having been a lesson purchased dear and held tight.
You know it's a little weird to say, "Cool, your relatives were killed by Indians!"

But it is, kinda.

I really can't imagine what it was like for those very earliest settlers. All their religious views, Native Americans, hunting with a gun that needed a tripod, all those pesky witches and funny hats, starving, looking for wampum in your free time, checking out all the hot Quaker babes on the other side of the tracks. Give me the Age of Enlightenment any day.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
You know it's a little weird to say, "Cool, your relatives were killed by Indians!"

But it is, kinda.

I really can't imagine what it was like for those very earliest settlers. All their religious views, Native Americans, hunting with a gun that needed a tripod, all those pesky witches and funny hats, starving, looking for wampum in your free time, checking out all the hot Quaker babes on the other side of the tracks. Give me the Age of Enlightenment any day.
Don't forget that awesome Thanksgiving meal delivered by the folks they were trying to kill......who were trying to kill them......all that corn pudding and.....stuff.:laugh1:

Don't forget that awesome Thanksgiving meal delivered by the folks they were trying to kill......who were trying to kill them......all that corn pudding and.....stuff.:laugh1:
It wasn't nearly that clean cut.
I've posted in this forum before that governor Winslow personally attended Philip's father when the latter was suffering from typhus. Scraped his tongue free of ick, made him soup, etc.

jpeter

1st Lieutenant
Retired Moderator
Right. Crawling around on a beach hoping some native would show up and have mercy on your pitiful bony body. You would have been happy with a merciful killing at that point, but instead the guy shows up with dang turkey.

Later, you feel obliged to find that Indian and steal the rest of his food.

K Hale

Colonel
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Not even NBF's?

I've had to physically pry cat poop from my dog's mouth numerous times. Talk about ick.

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Maybe if he was dying. Maybe. Very slim maybe. Frankly, I'm not sure what that would accomplish. I'd probably think about it so long he'd die anyway before I could make up my mind. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Not at all. Adapt like you'd applied for political exile to Canada, and courtesy of a wormhole, Quebec in 1750. It's different, it's coarse, but it is a fully functioning society with its own set of mores. Not some secretive freak with a yard barn.
Not really the right forum to delve to deeply into subject, especially gauging the comments,but an excellant set of books done by two wonderfull historians are C. Alice Baker's New England Captives carried off in the French and Indian Wars and Emma Lewis Coleman's follow up two volume set .My copy's are from the twenties,but Heritage Books has brought them back in print. Excellant research involved,including a half a dozen of my ancesters taken in the Cocheco raid of 1689.

K Hale

Colonel
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Maybe if he was dying. Maybe. Very slim maybe. Frankly, I'm not sure what that would accomplish. I'd probably think about it so long he'd die anyway before I could make up my mind. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
And you've changed diapers??

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
And you've changed diapers??
Yeah....and your point is? Strangely enough, that doesn't gross me out as much as the mouth ick. Maybe because I changed them? (I've also had to bathe my tomcat when he got in a fight and, er, was covered with poop.) Everybody has their weaknesses. I guess you wouldn't have to worry about that with Stuart.....he'd probably be a goner before you could find his mouth under all that beard :smile:

K Hale

Colonel
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
I assure you I would have no difficulty in locating it.

As for diapers... I've never changed a diaper, and never want to. OMG. I know it's necessary and noble and everything, but that is not for me. Eeeeek!

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
It's unfortunate this was done in the manner it was done. It may well be time for this era of 100 years ago to pass, but it's always been the custom of Americans to be reasonable. Like LoriAnn, it concerns me that a mob of people - many of whom aren't even from the locality - can destroy a public work without having to take responsibility for breaking the laws they broke.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
In an address to Latin American diplomats at the White House on 13 March 1962, President John F. Kennedy said, "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
A very good point, without the ability to control their local monuments under the law, the lawless are encouraged.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Just a brief update. Of the 11 people arrested for the incident on the UNC campus, NONE were associated with the UNC. So, let’s take the “what local people want to do is ok with with me” out of the mix. It doesn’t work here.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-ne...c-silent-sam-toppling-and-protests/1396279972
Exact Quote is 'University officials noted Saturday that the 11 arrested were not a part of "the UNC community."' AKA students or facility. Maybe local, maybe not or maybe they did not have their student ID cards on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.