OoB for Confederate forces in the Red River Campaign

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I CANT find a good Order of Battle for the confederates for either Mansfield or Pleasent Hill. Only things i have that are close are the Mansfield Battle map by the Civil War Trust (Ill post the page on their website here https://www.battlefields.org/learn/maps/battle-mansfield-first-and-second-phase) and the wikipedia oob for the Camden Campaign (which doesn't include Green's Tx Cavalry and Polignac's, formerlly Mouton's, infantry division).

J. D. Stevens

Corporal
Attached you will find a list of CSA units who participated during the Red River Campaign. My Word document looks a lot nicer, but the website would not let me attach it. An error message said the "file did no have the allowed extension" whatever that means. So I copied to this sloppy looking .txt format. I will not vouch for 100% accuracy of the document, but it's darn close. Note: This is the Orders of Battle for the campaign over a three month span, not any one particular battle. Some units came and went and commanders changed during this period for various reasons. Gen Kirby Smith sent most of the Confederate infantry and much of the artillery to Arkansas after Pleasant Hill. Green's Texas Cavalry and Polignac's small infantry division remained with Taylor chasing Banks back down the Red River.

If you have a specific question or require further assistance relating to the Red River Campaign, let us know and we will do our best to help out.

Attachments

• Order of Battle_CSA in the Red River Campaign.txt
    4 KB · Views: 292

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Attached you will find a list of CSA units who participated during the Red River Campaign. My Word document looks a lot nicer, but the website would not let me attach it. An error message said the "file did no have the allowed extension" whatever that means. So I copied to this sloppy looking .txt format. I will not vouch for 100% accuracy of the document, but it's darn close. Note: This is the Orders of Battle for the campaign over a three month span, not any one particular battle. Some units came and went and commanders changed during this period for various reasons. Gen Kirby Smith sent most of the Confederate infantry and much of the artillery to Arkansas after Pleasant Hill. Green's Texas Cavalry and Polignac's small infantry division remained with Taylor chasing Banks back down the Red River.

If you have a specific question or require further assistance relating to the Red River Campaign, let us know and we will do our best to help out.
Thank you.

Note: This is the Orders of Battle for the campaign over a three month span, not any one particular battle. Some units came and went and commanders changed during this period for various reasons

I've been reading a whole lot about Walker's "Greyhound" Division in Louisiana in '63 & '64. There was indeed a lot of change of commanders. General McCullough's Brigade became General Scurry's Brigade a few months before Mansfield, and the colonel of the 17th Texas Infantry, Colonel Allen, was transferred to command the POW prison, Camp Ford, at Tyler, Texas, and command of the 17th passed to Lt Col George Washington (Wash) Jones. Colonel Allen appears to have been a real unpleasant man who was literally run off by the men from his first assignment as the original colonel of the 4th Texas Infantry--his hasty departure giving JB Hood his first CW command.

NedBaldwin

Major
Note: This is the Orders of Battle for the campaign over a three month span, not any one particular battle. Some units came and went and commanders changed during this period for various reasons.
The OOB for the campaign is tricky, because as was pointed out units came and went and commanders changed but also because the campaign covered a large geography and included operations in Louisiana against Banks & Porter and also operations in Arkansas against Steele -- some classify that as a different campaign, some consider them together. Portions were involved in certain battles, but not others. So for example, the OOB of Mansfield is slightly different that the OOB of Pleasant Hill.

There were essentially 4 components of the Confederate forces involved - Taylor's command in Louisiana, Price's command in Arkansas, troops from Texas sent to either Taylor or Price, and other miscellaneous troops around Shreveport indirectly involved.

1) Taylors command

- Walker's division, which fought at both Mansfield and Pleasant Hill was what is shown on the text attachment with the exception that the 3rd TX did not arrive from Texas until after Mansfield and Pleasant Hill, and when Walker went to Arkansas it joined Scurry's brigade for the final stage of the campaign.

- Mouton/Polginac's Division, which fought at both Mansfield and Pleasant Hill was what is shown on the text attachment except artillery are missing
(Also see part 4 below)

- Vincent's Brigade Louisiana Cavalry - Taylor started with the 2nd LA and was joined during the campaign by the 7th LA in time for the battle of Mansfield and by 6th and 8th LA (this one formed from two battalions of Louisiana State Guards) for the later stages of the campaign

2) Price's command in Arkansas

Those sent to Louisiana
- 4 brigades under Churchill as shown in the text attachment arrived right after the fighting ended at Mansfield and participated in Pleasant Hill before being sent back to Arkansas.
- Hawthorn's Arkansas infantry brigade [34th AR, 35th AR, 37th AR, 39th AR] was sent to Louisiana, held in Shreveport as a reserve during Mansfield/Pleasant Hill then joined Churchill on his way back to Arkansas

Stayed in Arkansas to oppose Steele
- Dockery's infantry brigade [18th AK, 15AK, 20AK]

- Fagan's Arkansas Cavalry Division
Cabell's brigade - 1st AK, 2nd AK, 4th AK, 7th AK;​
Crawford's brigade - 2nd AK, Crawford AK, Wrights AK, Poe's AK​

- Marmaduke's Missouri Cavalry division
Green's brigade - 3rd MO, 4th MO, 7th MO, 8th MO, 10th MO​
Shelby's brigade - 1st MO, 5th MO, 11th MO, 12th MO, 14 MO​

3) Cavalry sent from Texas [I mentioned the 3rd TX infantry above. Rest sent were cavalry]

As shown on text attachment, these cavalry brigades arrived in time for the battle of Mansfield
- Bee's Brigade
- Lane's Brigade
- Bagby's Brigade

Not shown in the text attachment are two brigades that arrived after the battle but participated in the rest of the campaign:
- Parson's brigade [12th TX, 19th TX, 21st TX]
- Wood's brigade [23rd TX, 35th TX, 32TX]

Also, the following were sent from Texas to Arkansas under Maxey and only participated in part of the Arkansas phase of the campaign
- Gano's brigade [29th TX, 30thTX, 31st TX]
- Walker's Indian Brigade (1st and 2nd Chocktaw)

4) Miscellaneous
- Along the northside of the river, Gen Liddell commanded a brigade consisting of the 3rd, 4th and 5th LA Cavalry. It skirmished with US troops along the river but did not participate in any of the battles.

- there was heavy artillery and engineer battalion in Shreveport as well as naval forces (CSS Webb, CSS Missouri, CSS Cotton) though these did not participate in any battles

- Thomas' Brigade -- six LA regiments (3rd, 17th, 26th, 27th, 29th, 31st) that had been paroled after the surrender of Vicksburg were reorganized during the first half of 1864. It is known there were camps for them before the campaign and by September they were officially a brigade in Polignac's division but in April-May their status is unclear though some scholars have pointed to evidence of participation by a portion of this command with Polignac.

Frank Watson

Private
naval forces (CSS Webb, CSS Missouri, CSS Cotton) though these did not participate in any battles

CSS Cotton you are referring to is the renamed Mary T. Correct?