Reenactment only a flesh wound

robert hayden

Private
catagory: reenactments taken 08/12/2011 4:00pm at Wilson's Creek, Missouri
helping a wounded messmate from the field.
wc wound.jpg

robert hayden,

Always liked getting "wounded" or deserting when I was in Civil War reenacting.

My favorite time was at Guyandotte, WV, when I was "shot & killed" by Confederate raiders on the front lawn of a private home in the town. The local police would tape off the battlefield and as I and other Union soldiers were driven back to the old Guyandotte jail, the spectators would be permitted to come closer and view the carnage.

As I lay dead, with the crowd watching, two Confederate soldiers, by whispered agreement, proceded to rob me of my haversack and my shoes. As I lay there, breathing very, VERY slowly, with closed eyes and not moving, face down in the grass, I heard a very concerned and young voice ask, "Daddy, is he REALLY dead?"

I felt absolutely concerned to relieve this young spectator of his obvious concern, so I slowly raised my head, found the young boy who was so worried and gave him a slow wink to show him I was none the worse for wear. His dad gave me a big smile and the rest of the crowd chuckled.

I then lowered my head and went back to being "dead."

Best reenacting I ever did, except for that time I threw down my musket and ran for the rear at Perryville, KY. :smile:

Thanks for the photo and for the memories.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Back