Onion Soup

I must confess that my most favorite meal of all time includes onion soup as a course. But I have never had any where milk has been substituted for water. Have to try that.

We, my husband and I, love onion soup. Here is another recipe from Colonial Williamsburg site from the 18th century. It is originally from "The Art of Cookery made Plain and Easy" by Hannah Glasse.

"Take half a pound of butter, put it into a stew pan on the fire, let it all melt, and boil it till it has done making any noise; then have ready ten or a dozen middling onions peeled and cut small, throw them into the butter, and let them fry a quarter of an hour; then shake in a little flour, and stir them round; shake your pan and let them do a few minutes longer; then pour in a quart or three pints of boiling water, stir them round; take a good piece of upper crust, the stalest bread you have, about as big as the top of a penny loaf cut small, and throw it in. Season with salt to your palate. Let it boil ten minutes stirring it often; then take it off the fire, and have ready the yolks of two eggs beat fine, with a spoonful of vinegar; mix some of the soup with them, then stir it into your soup, and mix well, and pour it into your dish. This is a delicious dish."

Another recipe for Onion Soup is from "The Book Of Household Management" (1861)

This one is called "Cheap Onion Soup".

8 middling sized onions
3 ounces of butter
1 tablespoon of rice flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoonful of powdered sugar
thickening of butter and flour
2 quarts of water

Cut the onions small, put them in the stewpan with the butter, and fry them well; mix the rice flour smoothly with the water, add the onions, seasoning and sugar, and simmer till tender. Thicken with butter and flour and serve.

Sufficient for 8 persons.

Back