• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Sides Onion Custard

onion custard
(from Godey's Ladies Magazine, edited by L.A. Godey, Sarah J. Hale, 1860)
1634667640602.png

Ingredients:

10 to 12 mild onions​
butter​
4 eggs​
1 pint milk​
grated nutmeg​

Instructions:

Peel and slice some mild onions (ten or twelve, in proportion to their size), and fry them in fresh butter, draining them well when you take them up; then mince them as fine as possible; beat four eggs very light, and stir them gradually into a pint of milk, in turn with the minced onions; season the whole with plenty of grated nutmeg, and stir it very hard; then put it into a deep white dish, and baked it about a quarter of an hour. Send it to a table as a side dish, to be eaten with meat or poultry. It is a French preparation of onions, and will be found to be very fine.​

When saw post on request for creamed onions, I thought of this recipe. This recipe is like creamed onion.

*Bake at 350 degrees 50 to 60 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a food processor or a blender would be a fine modern addition to this recipe! I don't envy old time ladies having to chop things "as fine as possible."

My Granny's recipe for Creamed Fried Onions:

1 lb Bermuda onions
fat for frying
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 cup milk, hot
salt and pepper to taste

Fry peeled, sliced onions in hot fat until tender and fairly brown, turning frequently. Scrape up all the brown crispy parts, sprinkle on flour and stir gently till well mixed. Stir in hot milk and cook until boiled up. Salt and pepper to taste.

When saw post on request for creamed onions, thought of this recipe for Onion Custard fro "Civil War Recipes, Receipts from the Pages of Godey's Lady's Book. This recipe is like creamed onion.

"Peel and slice some mild onions ( ten or twelve, in proportion to their size ), and fry them in fresh butter, draining them well when you take them up; then mince them as fine as possible; beat four eggs very light, and stir them gradually into a pint of milk, in turn with the minced onions; season the whole with plenty of grated nutmeg, and stir it very hard; then put it into a deep white dish, and baked it about a quarter of an hour .* Send it to a table as a side dish, to be eaten with meat or poultry. It is a French preparation of onions, and will be found to be very fine."

* Bake at 350 degrees 50 to 60 minutes.
Will have to give this one a try as onions are my favorite veggie and I eat them anyway possible.

Back