One-Star Soldiers (WIP, Input Appreciated)

In the spirit of spreading more information and exploring the history behind perhaps the most dramatic episodes of our history, I have picked out a handful of lesser-known Union officers who served in the rank of Brigadier General during the Civil War. They come from different backgrounds* and saw varying degrees of success in the war, in command of brigades, divisions, and even a corps. I have selected eight as a representation of the number of buttons in one row of a BG’s coat, just to be cheeky.

My current list is as follows:

• Henry Baxter
  • Lysander Cutler
  • Jefferson C. Davis
  • Abram Duryée
  • Benjamin H. Grierson
  • Nathan Kimball
  • Gilman Marston
  • Samuel K. Zook
I put this advance post on here for two reasons; A), to see if there is actually any interest in me doing this or not, and B), to see if anyone has any input on my choice of officers in helping me determine if a switcheroo or two is necessary.

* I realized in review of my selections that none of these men are West Pointers. Perhaps it may be prudent to include a couple of them in there. If anyone has any opinions on a worthy inclusion, I would be happy to consider. Worst-case scenario the list could always expand to sixteen to encompass all the buttons on a BG’s coat (not that the number truly matters beyond being silly).

Thanks in advance!

I always thought Baxter was an interesting character . He decimated Iverson's Brigade at Gettysburg , seemed to lead from the front and was wounded several times throughout the war.

I always thought Baxter was an interesting character . He decimated Iverson's Brigade at Gettysburg , seemed to lead from the front and was wounded several times throughout the war.

Agreed. His actions at Fredericksburg were also noteworthy, where he and his regiment (the 7th Michigan) were part of the brigade which took part in the amphibious landing to clear out Barksdale's sharpshooters. He got his shoulder shattered in the process of that, but he received a promotion straight from Lieutenant Colonel to Brigadier General afterwards, which you don't see very often.

Back