Lee One Southerner's view of Genl Lee

Any other general could have achieve the same results.IMO
Wore down and wore out army giving up doesn't take away from a mans General ship. :lee:

But I don't think Buckner's army at Ft Donelson was anywhere near wore out! :wink: For Lee, he had plenty of guns and bullets - what he needed was food. Amelia Court House is where the last gasp of the ANV happened.

But there wasn't another general. Grant beat him down and gets to take credit for winning the war. His leadership, tactically and strategically, were outstanding. He beat three separate Confederate armies. Luck had nothing to do with it.

Couldn't agree more! Once, maybe you could do that by sheer luck, fate, destiny or little green men but not twice more. And, Lee did not underestimate Grant. There was no mild sneer about Mr F J Hooker, or satisfied nod to McClellan - whom he knew he could beat if McClellan ever stopped the rope-a-dope! Lee definitely knew when he'd met a worthy opponent, and Grant was certainly one. I really don't see how losing to another excellent general takes Lee down any.

But I don't think Buckner's army at Ft Donelson was anywhere near wore out! :wink: For Lee, he had plenty of guns and bullets - what he needed was food. Amelia Court House is where the last gasp of the ANV happened.

Couldn't agree more! Once, maybe you could do that by sheer luck, fate, destiny or little green men but not twice more. And, Lee did not underestimate Grant. There was no mild sneer about Mr F J Hooker, or satisfied nod to McClellan - whom he knew he could beat if McClellan ever stopped the rope-a-dope! Lee definitely knew when he'd met a worthy opponent, and Grant was certainly one. I really don't see how losing to another excellent general takes Lee down any.

Me either. Grant earned his props but that doesn't denigrate Lee any.

Not only was he a great General he was also a Great American! Any general in grants place,imo, would have ran the Confederates ragged and cause them to give up like they did.
I think you say these things just to crack me up but isn't that exactly what Gen. Grant did. Have a nice day my southern friends.

Not only was he a great General he was also a Great American! Any general in grants place,imo, would have ran the Confederates ragged and cause them to give up like they did.
number one trader not a good American. To if he fourth more defensively he could have stretched the war Out .

Fortunately your opinion is not fact. The fact is that Grant defeated these Confederate armies not some other general of your imagination.

As expected another remarkably thoughtless reply repeated again.

Me either. Grant earned his props but that doesn't denigrate Lee any.

I'm confused. You denigrate a poster for pointing out that Lee was an effective General, then you agree with another poster, Lee shouldn't be denigrated?

That's a neat trick. Why not just come out and share your honest opinion? That way, you may get a straightforward response from everyone.

I'm confused. You denigrate a poster for pointing out that Lee was an effective General, then you agree with another poster, Lee shouldn't be denigrated?

That's a neat trick. Why not just come out and share your honest opinion? That way, you may get a straightforward response from everyone.

It is really quite simple. Just because you are beaten does not me you are a complete failure. Lee was a great defensive general . Grant was a great offensive general that overwhelmed that defense. To him goes the greater credit.

Maybe, but pointing to a minor Union victory in April, 1865 is really grasping at straws, don't you think?

It hardly points to General Grant's battlefield prowess when confronted with Lee.
Excuse my ignorance , but who surrender to whom at Appomattox?

Excuse my ignorance , but who surrender to whom at Appomattox?

Grant's year-long campaign, over about 200 miles of Virginia landscape, did not net a single tactical victory over the Army of Northern Virginia. He sacrificed tens of thousands of young men before Confederate canon with nothing to show for it. Even Lincoln thought he would lose the 1864 presidential election because of it.

The surrender at Appomattox Courthouse was Lee's decision, to end the carnage. And it was by no means, "unconditional."

Your ignorance is excused.

Grant's year-long campaign, over about 200 miles of Virginia landscape, did not net a single tactical victory over the Army of Northern Virginia. He sacrificed tens of thousands of young men before Confederate canon with nothing to show for it. Even Lincoln thought he would lose the 1864 presidential election because of it.

The surrender at Appomattox Courthouse was Lee's decision, to end the carnage. And it was by no means, "unconditional."

Your ignorance is excused.
I see. Although Grant achieved no tactical victories, and sacrificed many lives, the fact that he was able to bring Lee to the point where he "chose" to surrender doesn't count. Got it. Thanks for elucidation. Oh and thanks for excusing my ignorance.

I see. Although Grant achieved no tactical victories, and sacrificed many lives, the fact that he was able to bring Lee to the point where he "chose" to surrender doesn't count. Got it. Thanks for elucidation. Oh and thanks for excusing my ignorance.

You're welcome.

It is really quite simple. Just because you are beaten does not me you are a complete failure. Lee was a great defensive general . Grant was a great offensive general that overwhelmed that defense. To him goes the greater credit.

Grant is a great commander, no doubt, but given the superiority in resources and manpower he had, only a total incompetent could fail to eventually overwhelm Lee.

I think Lee's respect was earned as a commander, a commander who did exercise discipline when necessary. I've read account of his orders to hang stragglers and of those orders carried out. Lee also pushed his army on many occasions. The problem that I'm aware of is this. Lee's plans were often complex attack schemes, schemes that required large numbers of troops to execute with precision timing. A very difficult task and expectation considering the times.

This sounds like sower grapes to me. No one at the time was immune to criticism, especially Lee. Just read Mary Chestnut's diary and see how her opinion changed with the wind.

Lee did amazing things with the troops he had. Now that being said, Lee also had the benefit of having two highly talented Corps commanders. When you take the three individuals and through an act of Provence, put them together, they become a very rare military anomaly. I'm sure the trio was admired throughout history by many military leaders. I.E. Ike :smile:
Would these 2 be Longstreet and Jackson? If so, I will have to read about them.

Would these 2 be Longstreet and Jackson? If so, I will have to read about them.
Yes, that’s exactly whom I was talking about. Add Stuart to the equation and you have a truly amazing assembly of talent. In the eastern theater these individuals formed as impressive a military force that has ever been assembled before or after. IMO.

Last edited:
Back