One item that belonged to your ancestors?

Maybe I interpret things a bit different than most, but most times I would like to share his experience. Whenever I look at photos from that period, I get this transcendental urge to step into the frame and become a part of it; to feel the earth, and breathe the air of that time. I begin searching for those times, and keep thinking one day I will return to it.
Lubliner.
Many would pooh-pooh this idea, but that's exactly what many reenactors are attempting to recreate or recapture. Many of the worst are merely what we tend to call "powder-burners", grown men (and some women as well) who like to continue to play cowboys and Indians and dress-up; however, there are also plenty of serious folks (like me I hope) who want to know how hardtack tastes, black powder smells; how it feels to march several miles in authentic uniforms carrying a ten-pound musket or rifle and the proper accouterments; and sleep outdoors in various kinds of weather beneath skimpy shelter halves, lean-tos, or nothing at all. I have been able to do all of those things and many more and although I'm sure it's only a shadow experience of the real thing, at least it has given me some idea and appreciation.

Maybe I interpret things a bit different than most, but most times I would like to share his experience. Whenever I look at photos from that period, I get this transcendental urge to step into the frame and become a part of it; to feel the earth, and breathe the air of that time. I begin searching for those times, and keep thinking one day I will return to it.
Lubliner.

I am like you in this regard, especially about looking at old photos; I've always been fascinated by them. While I can use my imagination concerning a lot of the unpleasantness of the war and of the mid-nineteenth century in general I just want to know what life was really like - what did the landscape look like, what would I see if I walked into their houses, what did they eat, how did they speak and what did their voices and accents sound like, what would a typical day have been like.

I will admit, though, that I do sort of wonder what something like the bombardment prior to Pickett's charge was like or what massed troops in battle lines looked like; it had to have been spectacular.

1553621718694.png

… I will admit, though, that I do sort of wonder what something like the bombardment prior to Pickett's charge was like or what massed troops in battle lines looked like; it had to have been spectacular.
Happily, although now long ago (over 20-30 years) I've had something akin to those feelings - I can especially remember the thrill of being inside the formation of an organization the size of an actual Union division at the 125th Gettysburg when the divisional and brigade flags appeared along with the colors of the various infantry regiments above. The greatest mass event occurred ten years later during the 135th anniversary where there were supposedly 10,000 - 12,000 participants assembled for Pickett's Charge below.

1553621894611.png

View attachment 299126

Happily, although now long ago (over 20-30 years) I've had something akin to those feelings - I can especially remember the thrill of being inside the formation of an organization the size of an actual Union division at the 125th Gettysburg when the divisional and brigade flags appeared along with the colors of the various infantry regiments above. The greatest mass event occurred ten years later during the 135th anniversary where there were supposedly 10,000 - 12,000 participants assembled for Pickett's Charge below.

View attachment 299127

Why, thank you sir; much appreciated that you'd think of me.

Those do provide the seed for the imagination but, of course, the real thing would have had a cast of many thousands spread over miles. Had to have been grand in a macabre sort of way.

Diary would be my 1st. choice followed by a sword preferably a presentation sword . This past year I re-united WW2 letters to a gentlemen in California from his father who was a military dog handler. Also I found a son of a man who's sword I bought many years ago. It turns out the father is still alive 100 Yrs old . I have started to put on " find a grave" items that I have that has a name to it and hopefully relatives can enjoy them as they search for their relatives history .

Why, thank you sir; much appreciated that you'd think of me.

Those do provide the seed for the imagination but, of course, the real thing would have had a cast of many thousands spread over miles. Had to have been grand in a macabre sort of way.
Although of course true, an interesting aspect of those two mammoth reenactments was that as long as you weren't facing the spectator crowd there was nothing within view that looked out-of-place, and importantly the scene was as filled with men, guns, and horses as far as could be seen. Even in a full-scale army of the time containing tens of thousands it would've been impossible for an average soldier to have seen any more than we could within our field of vision.

While in Savannah, GA with Sherman's army, my GGGrandfather purchased a little porcelain figurine of a black man playing a banjo and sent it home to his wife back in Michigan. A distant cousin ended up with it though he cared absolutely nothing about its sentimental value, and over the years he has refused to give, trade, or sell it to me. At a family reunion last September I found out it was lost forever when his house burned to the ground a couple of years ago. :-(

While in Savannah, GA with Sherman's army, my GGGrandfather purchased a little porcelain figurine of a black man playing a banjo and sent it home to his wife back in Michigan. A distant cousin ended up with it though he cared absolutely nothing about its sentimental value, and over the years he has refused to give, trade, or sell it to me. At a family reunion last September I found out it was lost forever when his house burned to the ground a couple of years ago. :-(
I feel for you, in fact I think we all do. If only.....

I have been thinking about this question for the past couple of days. I have momentos from some of my ancestors and nothing from others.

While an image,letters or diary are wonderful things, they are just that, things. - - - - - With all due respect to other forum members, I am not making light of these sort of keep sakes.

What's in a name? One name is pretty much like another.

I come from a family with a long military tradition. 265 years of tradition.

Some types of momentos can be destroyed in a fire, damaged in a move or stolen; but my most valued treasures never can be.

My ancestors who served in the military left me with the most valued treasures of all. A country and freedom. Tradition and a family heritage to be proud of. Memories of those I actually had the pleasure and honor of knowing.

At times Americans take for granted the real treasures our forefathers left us. Take pride in what you do have and always cherish it.

Just the rambling thoughts of an old soldier.

I have been thinking about this question for the past couple of days. I have momentos from some of my ancestors and nothing from others.

While an image,letters or diary are wonderful things, they are just that, things. - - - - - With all due respect to other forum members, I am not making light of these sort of keep sakes.

What's in a name? One name is pretty much like another.

I come from a family with a long military tradition. 265 years of tradition.

Some types of momentos can be destroyed in a fire, damaged in a move or stolen; but my most valued treasures never can be.

My ancestors who served in the military left me with the most valued treasures of all. A country and freedom. Tradition and a family heritage to be proud of. Memories of those I actually had the pleasure and honor of knowing.

At times Americans take for granted the real treasures our forefathers left us. Take pride in what you do have and always cherish it.

Just the rambling thoughts of an old soldier.
Well said !

If you could have just one item that belonged to your Civ8l War ancestor, what item you you want to have?

I think if I could have anything, I'd like to have letters or diaries detailing wartime experiences and hopefully motivations and thoughts. I don't know that any of that exists for any of my Confederate ancestors, but knowing who they were and why they did what they did would be my #1 wish.

The closest thing I have is a very short newspaper profile for one of them where he gives a short anecdote from the war:
D1LcIZ4.jpg

I think if I could have anything, I'd like to have letters or diaries detailing wartime experiences and hopefully motivations and thoughts. I don't know that any of that exists for any of my Confederate ancestors, but knowing who they were and why they did what they did would be my #1 wish.

The closest thing I have is a very short newspaper profile for one of them where he gives a short anecdote from the war:
View attachment 299409
I love this obituary. What a blessing to have a summary of your ancestor's experience in the CW, ESPECIALLY the wonderful anecdote about the Yankee praying. Priceless!

My GGrand couldn't read or write. There are distant family members pics and letters and such but they don't share.
But having over the past ten years studying what he did in the 52nd Virginia Infantry book, I come to know him well.
And I give thanks to the Lord that he survived and left his legacy and hard work known to me and the perfect blessed life I now have
had from the past ages. Amen.

Marshall

Back