On International Women's Day We Remember the Women of the Civil War Era

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Today is International Women's Day and the Immigration Forum is celebrating by recalling the women of the Civil War Era, immigrant and native-born.

women logo.PNG

Love this thread, Pat, thank you!

I'd like to give a shout-out to the many women who stayed home and organized or contributed to efforts to send those extra needed supplies or support the efforts of not only nurses but those providing invalid diets, clean linens, and other basic amenities to those hospitalized. And the many who endured hardships keeping their farms, businesses, families going while their husbands/male relatives were serving in the army.

Some references:
Mary Livermore, My Story of the War (see my avatar)
Judith Ann Giesberg, Civil War Sisterhood: The U. S. Sanitary Commission and Women's Politics in Transition, and Army at Home: Women and the Civil War on the Northern Home Front
Nina Silber, Daughters of the Union: Northern Women Fight the Civil War
And that wonderful study of southern women during the war: Drew Gilpin Faust, Mothers of Invention.

Love this thread, Pat, thank you!

I'd like to give a shout-out to the many women who stayed home and organized or contributed to efforts to send those extra needed supplies or support the efforts of not only nurses but those providing invalid diets, clean linens, and other basic amenities to those hospitalized. And the many who endured hardships keeping their farms, businesses, families going while their husbands/male relatives were serving in the army.

Some references:
Mary Livermore, My Story of the War (see my avatar)
Judith Ann Giesberg, Civil War Sisterhood: The U. S. Sanitary Commission and Women's Politics in Transition, and Army at Home: Women and the Civil War on the Northern Home Front
Nina Silber, Daughters of the Union: Northern Women Fight the Civil War
And that wonderful study of southern women during the war: Drew Gilpin Faust, Mothers of Invention.
A great shout out.

Carl Schurz was one of the most famous immigrants of the 19th Century. His wife Margarethe "Molly" Meyer-Schurz was a force in her own right. She is often credited with opening the first kindergarten in the United States. She shared her husband's progressive values, and willingly chose to live the life of an exile to go with her new husband to America as a refugee.
schurz.JPG

I'm a little short on time, but will at least give quick shout-outs to Harriet Tubman, Pauline Cushman, Belle Boyd, Rose O'Neal Greenhow, and Dr. Mary Edwards Walker. All stood up for what they believed, took tremendous risks, and defied expectations of 19th century women. They deserve our remembrance and respect. Thank you!!

And @Pat Young , I've got my red shirt as well, although my wife deducted a few points, claiming it was burgundy.

Adam

Back