Longstreet On Dangerous Ground: Did Longstreet Really Say This About Lee?

I strongly agree with you on the "OL'gang and Republican party" statements. A book would be "From Manassas to Appomattox" Memoirs of the Civil War in America by James Longstreet. I own this book, but unfortunately have yet to read it. You just motivated me to get going on it.
Thank you,.Did Lee hear or read of these acquisitions that Longstreet alleged to have written and if he did what was his response? There is a documentary on NETFLIX OR PRIME called ''DEATH and the Civil War'',It concerns the horror of the war from the start to the end.The deaths and the treatment of the dead as to burial and return to home of the dead,It quotes the letters of the soldiers at the time of battle and some written as they lay dying.What makes this really interesting is that it looks on both North and South as the war proceeds and then the formation of the Clara Barton movement as to cemeteries for the dead Union soldiers on the battle fields and what was found as they did there search for the dead,As for the Confederate dead the women of Richmond started with those Confederate dead around the fields of that city and eventually spread,These women had no Federal funding or aid,I do not remember it dealing with the West theater and nor with Sickles contribution with Gettysburg,If you watch inform me of what your thoughts are.

As you all know by now, I’m always looking for the best in my favorite general, James Longstreet, so it won’t come as any surprise that I don’t believe he said this. But, like most of you I’m baffled by the article. Victoria Stuart Mosby-Coleman was indeed a well-respected writer so why would she have made this up? Well here’s a theory @lelliott19 .

John Singleton Mosby was extremely fond of J.E.B. Stuart – so fond that he named his daughter, Victoria Stuart Mosby-Coleman for his good friend. John Singleton Mosby contributed an article to Century Magazine in 1887 in which he was very uphappy with General Longstreet for condemning Stuart’s "wild ride around the Federal Army.” As I recall, he also addressed this in his book, “Mosby's War Reminiscences, and Stuart's Cavalry Campaigns.”

Perhaps Virginia Stuart Mosby-Coleman, called Stuart by her family and friends, did purposely misquote General Longstreet because of her father's feelings/comments. It might be worth revisiting John Singleton Mosby's book. Of course this is just a theory. 🙂

View attachment 352903
ON DANGEROUS GROUND
In October 1895, as General James Longstreet was putting the finishing touches to his manuscript, he visited Lippincott Publishers in Philadelphia about the new book "From Manassas to Appomattox: Memoirs of the Civil War in America." Either while he was there, or on his way to/from Philadelphia, Longstreet was interviewed by a correspondent of the New York World. By October 22, an article reporting the contents of the interview was published in the World. The article was also reprinted in other newspapers including The Indianapolis Journal, The Alexandria Gazette, and The (Savannah) Morning News.

....my book will show very plainly that Lee, though now regarded by all southerners as the most able of leaders, was but a poor commander, and that the whole of his military history is full of mistakes....

Before you read the entire article, it's important to note that Longstreet publicly disavowed the report, as did Fitzhugh Lee. But was the damage already done? As the Savannah Morning News noted, Longstreet was indeed on "dangerous ground" --- especially with the publication of his new book on the horizon.

In this post, Ill include the article, as it appeared in The Morning News. (Savannah, Ga.), October 23, 1895, page 3. In subsequent posts, I'll provide Longstreet's and other's renunciations.
View attachment 352904

View attachment 352905

View attachment 352906
The Morning News. (Savannah, Ga.), October 23, 1895, page 3.
Image https://dphseng11myblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/longstreet-and-lee1.jpg

@gentlemanrob @Eleanor Rose @FarawayFriend @War Horse @Pete Longstreet
The Birth of Fake News, perhaps?

Back