1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

On a Scale of 1 To 10, Rate Jubal Early's Generalship

Discussion in 'The Eastern Theater' started by JeffBrooks, Dec 12, 2015.

?

On a Scale of 1 To 10, Rate Jubal Early's Generalship

1. 1

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. 2

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. 6

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  7. 7

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  8. 8

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  9. 9

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  10. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JeffBrooks

JeffBrooks First Sergeant

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best, rate Jubal Early's generalship.

Why did you rate him at the level you choose?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. CaptainIsaacHall

CaptainIsaacHall Private

I hate to rate generals, as it's much like rating presidents, but I'd have to give Early an 9/10. He performed well, performed aggressively, and took the initiative in battle, often acting independently. There were speckles here and there, but otherwise he was definitely a great general. He achieved the trust and respect of Lee, which means something.

4. hanna260

hanna260 Sergeant Major

A strong 6. I think 8 and over should be reserved for the stand out generals of the war and Early just doesn't push it there for me. He had some great moments such as when he was facing against Sheridan (I'll stand that his campaign in the Valley was pretty brilliant there: Sheridan with his advantages, should have triumphed much sooner), but he definitely could be over-aggressive, and he was certainly cantankerous. I just don't think he distinguished himself enough to be rated with the great generals, but I do think when added up to the Valley Campaign and some of his other actions earlier in the war, that he can be counted as a pretty durn solid one.

Mdiesel, novushomus, James N. and 2 others like this.
  5. Pat Young

Pat Young Colonel Forum Host

He was no Rosecrans.

6. Poor Private

Poor Private First Sergeant

In his valley campaign, I believe he did much better than Jackson. Less troops, less of everything, and his threat on Washington actually scared the union, who figured the south was dead(or dying). Could you actually equate this to the Germans' WWII battle of the bulge, I can.

Mdiesel, Rebel Rally Point and bdtex like this.
  7. CaptainIsaacHall

CaptainIsaacHall Private

Agreed, but the situationally, the comparison doesn't seen apt, in my opinion.

Pat Young likes this.
  8. Sbc

Sbc Sergeant

Thank God for that!

Pat Young likes this.
  9. pfcjking

pfcjking First Sergeant

As a brigade commander: 10
    As a division commander: 10
    As a corps commander: ? His time in this role was too short to judge, IMO.
    As commander of the Valley: 9

He showed the rare audacity that is required to win while being severely outnumbered and under-equipped. He was a self starter and a go getter. He moved on his own initiative, not having to be begged to move like some others.
    He did not allow himself to be cowed by defeat. He fought hard until he had nothing left.

I think he should have been elevated to corps command over the head of Hill and Ewell, that is certain.

Mdiesel, BillO, James N. and 4 others like this.
  10. Georgia Sixth

Georgia Sixth Sergeant Major

Any one have the Enigma decoder?

James N. and Pat Young like this.
  11. Northern Light

Northern Light Captain

I think he was a fairly good general, aggressive and good at following orders, but just missing that spark of brilliance that is seen in others. He is sort of like George Thomas, give him a task and he it gets it done, and done well for the most part. if he hadn't had such an irascible personality, and hadn't indulged in his post war apologia, we probably would not have heard a lot of him. I gave him a 7.

Mdiesel and James N. like this.
  12. MaryDee

MaryDee Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

I really don't feel I'm qualified to rate Early as a general. IMHO, in the 1864 campaign, he did quite well considering his resources. He certainly caused a panic in Washington which did cause Grant to divert troops from Petersburg; however, that didn't make any difference at Petersburg, which was Lee's hope. The one possible failure was Early's mid-morning "pause" at Cedar Creek. His toops were disorganized, though, due to much looting of the Union camp (they were hungry!), It's hard to imagine what would have happened if he didn't pause--more likely that Sheridan would have had a shorter ride from Winchester but still would have won, again due to superior resources.

Early's after-war activities were a different story, but not part of this rating attempt.

pfcjking likes this.
  13. pfcjking

pfcjking First Sergeant

Thomas had to be begged to move. He followed his orders exactly, but very slowly. That's why he found himself in Nashville with a scant of an army in the first place, instead of marching to the sea and then up thru the Carolinas. Even then, his slow, methodical movement almost coast him his job. He literally escaped Rosecrans' fate by a day or two.

14. JeffBrooks

JeffBrooks First Sergeant

Why do you think it made no difference at Petersburg? If the two corps of infantry and all the cavalry units that were sent north to deal with Early had been present with Grant at Petersburg for the summer and autumn offensives in 1864, Petersburg might have fallen months before it actually did so.

15. Northern Light

Northern Light Captain

I realize this, but my point was that he was more like Thomas than in being competent, but not flashy like Stuart or relentlessly determined like Jackson or Sherman.

pfcjking likes this.
  16. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

Scrappy #10?

17. Eric Wittenberg

Eric Wittenberg Sergeant Major Forum Host

At what time?

When he was a brigade commander?

A division commander?

A corps commander?

An army commander?

This is an awfully open-ended question, and the answer depends entirely on the time frame in question.

18. William Satterwhite

William Satterwhite Cadet

7, my initial thought was a 6 but some of the comments regarding his performance in the Valley caused me to reconsider. I consider personality and ability to work well with others to be a big part of judging a general who spent much of the war as someone's direct subordinate- I can't help but wonder how much (if at all) Early's noted bad temperament may have affected the performance of those who had to work with him.

Mdiesel likes this.
  19. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

He would fight a dead horse. He would.

20. Northern Light

Northern Light Captain

He did.:giggle:

21. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)