Restricted Ole Miss Confederate monument

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Potentially all I am going to say on this but I never realized that American athletes and various other celebrity types turned over their first amendment rights when they signed their contracts and got the big Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes checks. Do the American athletes that agree with one's opinion have to surrender their pocket Bill of Rights too or just those that disagree. What other Americans in their chosen professions should just shut up and ______________ if they disagree with "you."

And anyone about to respond with, "but but but 'my' sides' athletes and celebrity types are being silenced by those who disagree with 'us'..." guess what??? They shouldn't be silenced either.

No one in America should be told to shut up and ___________________________.

Ole Miss

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Jersey Bart I respectively say I am unaware of any Ole Miss athletes told to shut up and play or denied their right to protest. In fact the University of Mississippi has been very quick to react to requests and demands regarding Confederate statuary and memorials. However I have the right to no longer contribute to Ole Miss Athletic events nor donate to the various sports organizations such as football or baseball by buying tickets. I am done, simply done with organized sports from college to the pro and have done well with their abscence.

I believe that we should revert back to students being students and no longer using college as a training program for pro sports paying coaches millions of dollars and leaving faculty to fight for scraps. Redistribution of wealth would be greatly improved with the elimination of some players earning muliti-million salaries or prizes from tournaments. Why not use these monies for improving public infrastructure which would fund many good paying jobs. Right?

If you are moved by the plight of student athletes at Ole Miss by all means offer your financial support and verbal encouragement as I am certain the university would love to hear from you.
Regards
David

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Jersey Bart I respectively say I am unaware of any Ole Miss athletes told to shut up and play or denied their right to protest. In fact the University of Mississippi has been very quick to react to requests and demands regarding Confederate statuary and memorials. However I have the right to no longer contribute to Ole Miss Athletic events nor donate to the various sports organizations such as football or baseball by buying tickets. I am done, simply done with organized sports from college to the pro and have done well with their abscence.

I believe that we should revert back to students being students and no longer using college as a training program for pro sports paying coaches millions of dollars and leaving faculty to fight for scraps. Redistribution of wealth would be greatly improved with the elimination of some players earning muliti-million salaries or prizes from tournaments. Why not use these monies for improving public infrastructure which would fund many good paying jobs. Right?

If you are moved by the plight of student athletes at Ole Miss by all means offer your financial support and verbal encouragement as I am certain the university would love to hear from you.
Regards
David
I am more talking about the way the thread turned to commentary about athletes and offering my $0.02 on what I think about anyone in America being requested-told to just shut up and ________________.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel

Regards
David
Couldn’t have said it better, Ole Miss. Today’s major college student athletes are among the most coddled individuals in the country today, at least from the time they are identified as physically special by the age of 12 or so. So we need to get past the idea that these young men are somehow victims of systemic racism. It’s absurd.

My wife got her Masters from Ole Miss and through the years has said the same as you. While her Dept. struggled with getting enough supplies to teach, the UMAA was rolling in dough. It’s the same situation now except it’s on steroids. At my school the once beautiful LSU infrastructure crumbles while the Athletic department is spending millions on learning centers just to keep these meatheads academically eligible. Last year they installed “sleep pods” in the locker room for athlete down time. It’s insane, and the only way to put an end to it is to stop going to games, stop buying merch, stop donating to the Athletic foundations, and donate to the academic side of the University.

Image result for lsu locker room sleep pods

Louisiana State University recently unveiled its renovated Football Operations Center. The whole renovation cost $28 million. The locker room has sleep pods for every football player. Each pod has a chair that folds out into a bed, similar to a first-class airline seat.

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Couldn’t have said it better, Ole Miss. Today’s major college student athletes are among the most coddled individuals in the country today, at least from the time they are identified as physically special by the age of 12 or so. So we need to get past the idea that these young men are somehow victims of systemic racism. It’s absurd.

My wife got her Masters from Ole Miss and through the years has said the same as you. While her Dept. struggled with getting enough supplies to teach, the UMAA was rolling in dough. It’s the same situation now except it’s on steroids. At my school the once beautiful LSU infrastructure crumbles while the Athletic department is spending millions on learning centers just to keep these meatheads academically eligible. Last year they installed “sleep pods” in the locker room for athlete down time. It’s insane, and the only way to put an end to it is to stop going to games, stop buying merch, stop donating to the Athletic foundations, and donate to the academic side of the University.

View attachment 372544
Louisiana State University recently unveiled its renovated Football Operations Center. The whole renovation cost $28 million. The locker room has sleep pods for every football player. Each pod has a chair that folds out into a bed, similar to a first-class airline seat.
So when do they have to turn in their copy of the Bill of Rights?

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Folks in my family were taught to have a sense of appreciation for our blessings. The attitude of entitlement absolutely rubs me the wrong way. Sorry if you don’t get it.
So no date or time table or qualifications for when they have to forfeit their first amendment rights??? Understood. Sorry you don't get that the first amendment applies to Americans whether they rub you the wrong way or not.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
So no date or time table or qualifications for when they have to forfeit their first amendment rights??? Understood. Sorry you don't get that the first amendment applies to Americans whether they rub you the wrong way or not.
Strawman. No one has said these people don’t have the right of free speech, nor is anyone trying to take it away. Not getting into politics but I do believe that doxxing and cancelling one’s views on social media and in the workplace that may not align with another’s is the only apparent violation of the First Amendment I see going on today. But yes, these athletes have every right to call themselves slaves (Lebron James) or want to change a building name or school fight song (UTex and UF), or a Confederate cemetery (Ole Miss) that they were told should offend them just as others have the same right not to support them when playing games. Right?

Last edited:

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
I'm confused where the constitution says you get a comfy chair to sleep in? What are we talking about here? Is this a modern politics or confederate monument discussion thread?

Free Speech? Where is the legislative body restricting free speech in this discussion? You can't use that argument until the "government" is restricting your speech, all other restrictions are always fair game. Know your Constitution people!

This discussion is all over the map. Who pays for college athletics? The students? The fans? The government? What rights are we arguing over, I'm not even certain you can agree on that.

I suggest getting your discussion under wraps, and back on topic soon.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
I'm confused where the constitution says you get a comfy chair to sleep in? What are we talking about here? Is this a modern politics or confederate monument discussion thread?

Free Speech? Where is the legislative body restricting free speech in this discussion? You can't use that argument until the "government" is restricting your speech, all other restrictions are always fair game. Know your Constitution people!

This discussion is all over the map. Who pays for college athletics? The students? The fans? The government? What rights are we arguing over, I'm not even certain you can agree on that.

I suggest getting your discussion under wraps, and back on topic soon.
It’s centers on a Confederate cemetery on the edge of the Ole Miss campus that is the new site of the Confederate soldier monument that was previously located in a more prominent place at the school. The cemetery dates back to the Shiloh wounded and is to be beautified to some degree as part of the new plan. After all these years it has now been deemed offensive to look at from the the practice field by some on the football team. A barrier has been put up to keep the football players’ feelings intact. Those like me and I think @Ole Miss object. One member suggested that I/we are violating their right to freedom of speech. That is absurd. The locker room pic I posted illustrates how coddled these athletes are today especially in the Southestern Conference where money is no object and schools are bending over backwards to keep players happy. I apologize if that was off track.

Last edited:

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Strawman. No one has said these people don’t have the right of free speech, nor is anyone trying to take it away. Not getting into politics but I do believe that doxxing and cancelling one’s views on social media and in the workplace that may not align with another’s is the only apparent violation of the First Amendment I see going on today. But yes, these athletes have every right to call themselves slaves (Lebron James) or want to change a building name or school fight song (UTex and UF), or a Confederate cemetery (Ole Miss) that they were told should offend them just as others have the same right not to support them when playing games. Right?
No, no its not. This thread turned into complaining about athletes and telling them to shut up and play. I didn't turn the thread into that. Based on that turn, I asked who gets to use the first amendment and who doesn't. It's all above: the turn, my questions and the responses. I'm still left wondering who among us gets to use their first amendment rights and who should just shut up and _______________. Now, is this a discussion thread or not. Should those who disagree with that turn ask questions or disagree with each other discuss like @Ole Miss and I respectfully did here and through pm or just shut up and go to a different thread.

But as not to take the thread off course any further, that will be the last I talk about it.

Last edited:

Ole Miss

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
"The issue between the City of Oxford and Lafayette County regarding who may own the land on which the Confederate statue resides has been set aside, for now.

During their meeting on Tuesday, the Board of Aldermen voted for a second time, this time publicly, to not pursue any litigation against the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors to determine who rightfully owns the property just south of the Lafayette County Courthouse
."*

I thought I would bring everyone up to date on the status of the Confederate Soldier statue on the Courthouse Lawn amid the Square in Oxford, MS. The Courthouse Lawn, a small island in the middle of the Oxford Square, is governed by the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors. Lafayette County is conservative, where as the city of Oxford is more liberal and this is where the conflict over the statue arises.

The city in an effort to be more progressive and responsive to the current discussions regarding Confederate symbols and monuments has attempted to have the Confederate Soldier removed but the county has stated it has control over the Courthouse Lawn.

The Board of Supervisiors have decided against moving the statue to a neutral and the city had discussed pursuing litiagation to resolve ownership of the Courthouse Lawn. This past Tuesday the city has resovled to no longer pursue the issue and the Southern Soldier will remain on the Square for the time being.
Regards
David
*https://www.oxfordeagle.com/2020/10...-legal-action-over-statue-property-ownership/

PapaReb

First Sergeant
"The issue between the City of Oxford and Lafayette County regarding who may own the land on which the Confederate statue resides has been set aside, for now.

During their meeting on Tuesday, the Board of Aldermen voted for a second time, this time publicly, to not pursue any litigation against the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors to determine who rightfully owns the property just south of the Lafayette County Courthouse
."*

I thought I would bring everyone up to date on the status of the Confederate Soldier statue on the Courthouse Lawn amid the Square in Oxford, MS. The Courthouse Lawn, a small island in the middle of the Oxford Square, is governed by the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors. Lafayette County is conservative, where as the city of Oxford is more liberal and this is where the conflict over the statue arises.

The city in an effort to be more progressive and responsive to the current discussions regarding Confederate symbols and monuments has attempted to have the Confederate Soldier removed but the county has stated it has control over the Courthouse Lawn.

The Board of Supervisiors have decided against moving the statue to a neutral and the city had discussed pursuing litiagation to resolve ownership of the Courthouse Lawn. This past Tuesday the city has resovled to no longer pursue the issue and the Southern Soldier will remain on the Square for the time being.
Regards
David
*https://www.oxfordeagle.com/2020/10...-legal-action-over-statue-property-ownership/
Thanks for the update @Ole Miss. This is good news even if it seems to be only a temporary lull in the conflict.