Restricted Ole Miss Confederate monument

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
This is why you don’t give an inch. Certain faculty members and students at Ole Miss finally got their way with the removal of the Confederate monument at the University. It was agreed that the statue would be moved to the Confederate cemetery hidden away at the edge of the campus behind the basketball arena. Ole Miss served as a hospital at times during the war and this cemetery contains the remains of a number of soldiers, many wounded at Shiloh. Most are unknown.

Well, the school released renderings of what the cemetery will look like with the statue and other upgrades including grave markers and at monument to Mississippi USCT vets as well. The usual suspects are furious, now saying it glorifies the Confederacy and faculty is saying we really didn’t mean what we said about moving the monument to the cemetery. I thought dialog was supposed to be the answer. Guess not.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
On a related note, the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors has voted 5-0 to keep the Confederate statue at it’s location on the historic Oxford town square. This is just down the road from the Ole Miss campus.

atlantis

Sergeant Major
This is about moving the goalposts after a dialog driven agreement has been reached.
Read the link you provided and just WOW. Are the complainers funding the project, not likely just spoiled brats including the complaining faculty members.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
Read the link you provided and just WOW. Are the complainers funding the project, not likely just spoiled brats including the complaining faculty members.
It’s being done with private funds as I understand it. One very prominent donor, a Mr. Barksdale -near billionaire and former CEO of Netscape, had put up $100k to have it moved to the cemetery. He is not in favor of the headstones, does like the USCT memorial but says he will withdraw support for a park area as the artist rendered. There are many others who will take up the slack if need be.

It is also said by the pros that the anti’s reject the plan for lights and security cams as it would foil future attempts at vandalism.

bottom line is that the objectors got what they wanted and the old statue is to be moved to a cemetery. But that’s not good enough now.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
There is an interesting dynamic here and in other big Southern universities and that is athletics. There’s a lot of money invested in big time football and a lot is expected in return. Winning programs generate alumni contributions, drive applications and increase enrollment. For example, U. of Alabama has blossomed as never before as it’s football team has won championships over the last decade. That’s why big SEC and Big 12 programs pay their head coaches an average of over $5 million a year to coach football. It’s an investment in the school. Football in the South is that important and the players, mostly black, are now realizing the leverage they have.

Not just Ole Miss. At the U. Texas, the players and many ordinary students are demanding that the iconic “The Eyes of Texas are Upon You” be banned at games. Why, because a turn of the century Chancellor, a Washington and Lee grad, was supposedly echoing R E Lee when he composed the song and that is had been used in bygone minstrel shows on the Texas campus. At Texas A&M the quarterback and other team members are demanding that the campus statue of Sul Ross, former A&M President, Texas Ranger and Confederate general, be removed. Never mind that Ross singlehandedly saved the University when it was near bankrupt and is a state icon.

Until now the alums have gone along with the charade because of the need to recruit elite athletes to their schools to remain competitive. Head coaches are doing everything but wash feet, and the may yet do that, in order to keep athletes happy and keep drawing those insanely large paychecks. But you can smell change in the air with pushback among alums and others who have continued to support these schools financially and emotionally for decades. For many people this whole Covid19 shutdown has been an eye opener as regards to the importance to sports in our lives, that we’re doing just fine without the NBA, MLB, probably the NFL this fall and college football. And when these people decide that other things are more important than watching entitled and for the most part mercenary athletes win games for us it will be all over for them.

rebracer

Sergeant
Yes, this a perfect example of the fallacy of "compromise". This was a very fair solution and proves that shame or eradication is the only goal of the anti monument (simplified description) crowd. God forbid we simply mark the names of dead buried in a cemetery because of hurt feelings of people who will never set foot in this cemetery. If I remember correctly, I believe this area was once going to be plowed over to build apartments, can you imagine the oppression of students having to live and walk over the smashed and defiled remains of the dead?

Maybe we need to create a master list of every person that has ever died with their life story attached so that college students can review and decide if they are worthy of having a grave marker. Would that be fair?

Maybe a large lighted sign that says "Because of Slavery" (and has a speaker that projects this phrase at a loud volume as well in case people dont see it) to provide some "context" over these individuals graves so they can be judged perpetually without the means to defend themselves would just be the easiest thing...

rebracer

Sergeant
I saw this in a story today about the move

“Beautifying and aggrandizing the cemetery during the relocation of the Confederate monument reinforces the university’s troubling pattern of making something-for-everyone compromises rather than making an unambiguous move toward justice and inclusivity," faculty members from the history department wrote in a statement last month.

I thought that is what all of this was about "compromise" and making something that represents "everyone". Something for everyone sounds pretty fair to me.

Musashi

Private
There is an interesting dynamic here and in other big Southern universities and that is athletics. There’s a lot of money invested in big time football and a lot is expected in return. Winning programs generate alumni contributions, drive applications and increase enrollment. For example, U. of Alabama has blossomed as never before as it’s football team has won championships over the last decade. That’s why big SEC and Big 12 programs pay their head coaches an average of over $5 million a year to coach football. It’s an investment in the school. Football in the South is that important and the players, mostly black, are now realizing the leverage they have.

Not just Ole Miss. At the U. Texas, the players and many ordinary students are demanding that the iconic “The Eyes of Texas are Upon You” be banned at games. Why, because a turn of the century Chancellor, a Washington and Lee grad, was supposedly echoing R E Lee when he composed the song and that is had been used in bygone minstrel shows on the Texas campus. At Texas A&M the quarterback and other team members are demanding that the campus statue of Sul Ross, former A&M President, Texas Ranger and Confederate general, be removed. Never mind that Ross singlehandedly saved the University when it was near bankrupt and is a state icon.

Until now the alums have gone along with the charade because of the need to recruit elite athletes to their schools to remain competitive. Head coaches are doing everything but wash feet, and the may yet do that, in order to keep athletes happy and keep drawing those insanely large paychecks. But you can smell change in the air with pushback among alums and others who have continued to support these schools financially and emotionally for decades. For many people this whole Covid19 shutdown has been an eye opener as regards to the importance to sports in our lives, that we’re doing just fine without the NBA, MLB, probably the NFL this fall and college football. And when these people decide that other things are more important than watching entitled and for the most part mercenary athletes win games for us it will be all over for them.

Good post but I would have to disagree that we are doing just fine without sports. Our people and society are losing their collective minds. Bread and circuses have their place, well circuses have been banned in the traditional sense but you get the meaning.

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
Good post but I would have to disagree that we are doing just fine without sports. Our people and society are losing their collective minds. Bread and circuses have their place, well circuses have been banned in the traditional sense but you get the meaning.
You won’t find a bigger football fan than me. My wife lives for Texas Ranger baseball. It’s an escape, but when you mix in politics as is being done now I’m just not interested.

Ole Miss

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
After moving the Confederate Monument to being adjacent to the Ole Miss Confederate Cemetery, a new issue has arisen. Several football players have objected to viewing the monument while at practice and the university has responed by errecting a large green wall which blocks the view. Here are some photos I took earlier today.
Regards
David
1598657614094.png

The football fields to the left are East of the monument
1598657835019.png

After moving the Confederate Monument to being adjacent to the Ole Miss Confederate Cemetery, a new issue has arisen. Several football players have objected to viewing the monument while at practice and the university has responed by errecting a large green wall which blocks the view. Here are some photos I took earlier today.
Regards
David
View attachment 371933
The football fields to the left are East of the monument
View attachment 371936
Guess they should be happy now

CowCavalry

First Sergeant
For many people this whole Covid19 shutdown has been an eye opener as regards to the importance to sports in our lives, that we’re doing just fine without the NBA, MLB, probably the NFL this fall and college football. And when these people decide that other things are more important than watching entitled and for the most part mercenary athletes win games for us it will be all over for them.
Yep, I hope the whole pro sports franchises goes down the tubes, lock, stock, and barrel. I, for one, am tired of the overpaid crybabies. Pro sports have just become something to distract the masses from real issues anyway, IMO.

Last edited:

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
Personally I am done! No more sports
I am worn out. No more student athletes just be students and no pro ball. Just get a job in your major
Regards
David
I’m there too. Done, over. I was at LSU during the Vietnam War. Twelve Tiger football players were commissioned 2nd Lts. through the ROTC program together with my brother and I and other regular students immediately after our graduation ceremony. Can anybody imagine that happening today?

Last edited: