Restricted Ole Miss Confederate Monument

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
This is a thread about a monument being moved. Keep on topic or don't bother to post. Leave the modern politics at the door or post elsewhere.

John Winn

Captain
I like the modern interpretive plaque.
I'm good with that; just says what happened. And I'm really good with not taking down the monument as it, in and of itself, is history of the post-war era. This is the approach Gary Gallagher was promoting a few years ago. I hope it works and those who just want to ban everything with which they find some disagreement don't somehow ruin what seems to me to be a good compromise.

WJC

Major General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
I personally believe that with interpretive signs like this these monuments ought to be saved. Destroying them. warehousing them and even some of the proposed moves takes away the opportunity to learn from them. They are reminders of the perspective and values of many Americans in the period following the war until well into the 20th-century. We learn from things that are uncomfortable. We need not agree with that perspective to appreciate that- for better or worse- it has shaped who we are.

Destroying them. warehousing them and even some of the proposed moves takes away the opportunity to learn from them. They are reminders of the perspective and values of many Americans in the period following the war until well into the 20th-century. We learn from things that are uncomfortable. We need not agree with that perspective to appreciate that- for better or worse- it has shaped who we are.
Very well said.

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
The Ole Miss’s Associated Student Body, Graduate Student Council, Faculty Senate, and Staff Council all voted to relocate the Confederate Statue from the Circle, center of campus, to the Confederate Cemetery on the South side of the campus. The Chancellor has agreed to seek permission to move the statue, a historical landmark, but relocation would require approval from the Department of Archives and History, according to the statement. Whether one agrees or not it is going to happen but I am proud that we as a university and state are going through this process in the light of day and not in the dead of night.
"Whether one agrees or not it is going to happen"

You mean the university is going to remove the monument whether they get permission or not?

We had a recent thread on AA newspapers and Confederate monuments.
Yes, didn't see many negative comments in those articles. The monuments, memorial days, etc, were a way to help heal the wounds and bitterness of war. Black people saw that as well as the white.

Maybe someone should search those in the region for stories about the dedication.
I'll check if there are any Mississippi AA newspapers available online.

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
19th Gerogia
"Whether one agrees or not it is going to happen"
"You mean the university is going to remove the monument whether they get permission or not? "
Once the movement to remove Confederate statues started it was inevitable the Ole Miss would take legal action to remove the statue to another location on campus. The universities student, staff and faculty governing bodies voted to have the statue moved to the Confederate Cemetery on campus and the Chancellor has petitioned the Mississippi Department of Archives and History for permission to make the move. It has been a foregone conclusion that Confederate statue would be relocated but the when and where remained to be determined. Now we know where just awaiting the when.
Regards
David

Viper21

Sergeant Major
This is the plaque the University of Mississippi placed in front of the statue to provide context.
Regards
David
View attachment 298644
What a crock. This "context plaque" clearly states why THIS memorial was placed. ".....was created to honor the sacrifice of local Confederate soldiers." That line, is the only context needed. It WAS the reason, this monument was created, & the plaque police even acknowledge such.

The folks pushing removals, & context plaques, will one day regret their movement. It will only be a matter of time before, monuments & such, to which they find dear to their hearts, will be attacked, & put in context. While, I'll never advocate such, I will find it funny when it happens...

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
Here's my "contextual plaque." The speech of John F. Harris in the Mississippi House of Representatives, 1890. It's about a different monument but the subject is the same. I wonder if we could get it published in the "Daily Mississippian" (Ole Miss student newspaper)-

harris1.jpg

harris2.jpg

harris3.jpg

RobertP

Major
Here's my "contextual plaque." The speech of John F. Harris in the Mississippi House of Representatives, 1890. It's about a different monument but the subject is the same. I wonder if we could get it published in the "Daily Mississippian" (Ole Miss student newspaper)-

View attachment 299107
View attachment 299108
View attachment 299109
Very interesting indeed. I do wish we knew the name and had the speech of the young man who was the son of a Marshall County soldier. My great grandfather BillyP was the son of a infantryman from Marshall County but was only 7-8 years old in 1890.

Paul Yancey

Private
The Ole Miss’s Associated Student Body, Graduate Student Council, Faculty Senate, and Staff Council all voted to relocate the Confederate Statue from the Circle, center of campus, to the Confederate Cemetery on the South side of the campus. The Chancellor has agreed to seek permission to move the statue, a historical landmark, but relocation would require approval from the Department of Archives and History, according to the statement. Whether one agrees or not it is going to happen but I am proud that we as a university and state are going through this process in the light of day and not in the dead of night.

Here are some photos of the statue in its original position.
Regards
David
View attachment 298639
So sad that statues continue to be removed. I came across an article entitled "Shall We Defend Our Common History". This article appeared in the February 2019 addition of Imprimis, a publication of Hillsdale College. In this article the author, Roger Kimball, speaks to the monument controversy. I will include this one quote from the article - "In the background is the conviction that we, blessed members of the most enlightened cohort ever to grace the earth with its presence, occupy a moral plane superior to all who came before us. Consequently, the defacement of murals of Christopher Columbus - and statues of later historical figures like Teddy Roosevelt - is perfectly virtuous and above criticism since human beings in the past were by definition so much less enlightened than we."

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Paul
Excellent post recommending "Shall We Defend Our Common History" for perusal by all members. Roger Kimball is a provocative author presenting an alternative view to the current onslaught against historical figures and monuments. This is what we use to have in our schools and papers, a discussion of views in a respectful and courteous manner. Perhaps this article will prompt an enlightening discu

Paul Yancey

Private
Paul
Excellent post recommending "Shall We Defend Our Common History" for perusal by all members. Roger Kimball is a provocative author presenting an alternative view to the current onslaught against historical figures and monuments. This is what we use to have in our schools and papers, a discussion of views in a respectful and courteous manner. Perhaps this article will prompt an enlightening discu
Thank You. It is an excellent article and well worth taking the time to read.