Restricted Ole Miss Confederate Monument

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
The Ole Miss’s Associated Student Body, Graduate Student Council, Faculty Senate, and Staff Council all voted to relocate the Confederate Statue from the Circle, center of campus, to the Confederate Cemetery on the South side of the campus. The Chancellor has agreed to seek permission to move the statue, a historical landmark, but relocation would require approval from the Department of Archives and History, according to the statement. Whether one agrees or not it is going to happen but I am proud that we as a university and state are going through this process in the light of day and not in the dead of night.

Here are some photos of the statue in its original position.
Regards
David
1553391353692.png

This is the plaque the University of Mississippi placed in front of the statue to provide context.
Great reporting David, but as an Ole Miss alumnus . . . I'm very concerned about where this is going.

The University Administration tried to placate those who were calling for the complete removal of this monument just a few years ago.
Much time and effort went into a 'proper' way to conceptualize this historic monument from the early twentieth century.

Now that's apparently not enough ?

we as a university and state are going through this process in the light of day and not in the dead of night.
I agree with you there, at least the on campus Confederate Cemetery is much better place than some secret warehouse.

But my question is what's next to go . . . the beautiful Tiffany stained glass windows in Ventress Hall perhaps ?

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/memorial-window-to-the-university-grays-co-a-11th-mississippi.91879/

Again, great thread David . . I'm only thinking out loud.

Last edited:

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
No doubt you are correct in your assessment that the "University Greys" windows will soon be the next Confederate symbol to be removed in the ongoing effort to destigmatize the University. Safe zones though well-intentioned do the students harm as offer the allusion of security but preventing the presentation of opposing positions or labeling them “Hateful Speech” provide precious little safety or security, Life is not fair or safe but challenges all to survive each day. Universities should be preparing students for the real world!
Regards
David