Oldest ship used during the Civil War?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Could it be the Oct 21 1797 USS Constitution which was a Training ship at the Naval Academy and used as a Receiving ship? She is a bit younger than the May 10 1797 USS United States, but I am not sure the USS United States was used by the Union and not sure if the Confederacy used her after they seized her.

Could it be the Oct 21 1797 USS Constitution which was a Training ship at the Naval Academy and used as a Receiving ship? She is a bit younger than the May 10 1797 USS United States, but I am not sure the USS United States was used by the Union and not sure if the Confederacy used her after they seized her.

The oldest ships to see combat (not a training, receiving, or supply ship) were probably some of the sailing sloops of the 1820s building program, specifically ones like USS Vincennes from the US Exploring Expedition, and USS St Louis, both of which saw battle, blockade duty, and helped take enemy ships.

Wonder if we even know which was oldest, or names? Maybe not USS and CSS ships, ships that were around since Day 1 and did some kind of war service. I say that because there are lists of ships whose names I can't find in official records, in newspapers announcing arrivals at various harbors. Always wondered how much war work some were engaged in? I mean, ' oldest ship used ' spreads a wide net.

Back