NF Old Time Civil War Magazines

Non-Fiction

Rusk County Avengers

Captain
Muster Stunt Master Stones River / Franklin 2022
Not exactly books, or movies for that matter, but I'm curious on other folks views regarding older magazines. Over the years I've had folks give me old issues of magazines such as Civil War Times, and America's Civil War, and I've always enjoyed reading through them, even if some of the information is a bit dated, or outright debunked. I guess I might enjoy reading them just for nostalgia.

But I'm curious, am I just weird or a late comer to reading them? No magazine will ever replace a well researched book, but I like to think they are still worth reading.

Of course I'd say some magazines are much, much better written and researched than their modern counterparts for the most part, I have a stack of late 80's early 90's Confederate Veteran Magazines that are WAY better researched than its modern counterpart. Excepting the occasional once-in-a-blue-moon great article in the modern counterpart, a recent issue featuring a preview of "The Real Horse Soldiers" being a great example.

Not exactly books, or movies for that matter, but I'm curious on other folks views regarding older magazines. Over the years I've had folks give me old issues of magazines such as Civil War Times, and America's Civil War, and I've always enjoyed reading through them, even if some of the information is a bit dated, or outright debunked. I guess I might enjoy reading them just for nostalgia.

But I'm curious, am I just weird or a late comer to reading them? No magazine will ever replace a well researched book, but I like to think they are still worth reading.

Of course I'd say some magazines are much, much better written and researched than their modern counterparts for the most part, I have a stack of late 80's early 90's Confederate Veteran Magazines that are WAY better researched than its modern counterpart. Excepting the occasional once-in-a-blue-moon great article in the modern counterpart, a recent issue featuring a preview of "The Real Horse Soldiers" being a great example.
I have stacks of old Confederate magazine dating from the mid-1980s to the most recent edition. I sure miss the Blue Gray magazine; in my opinion, the only one of its kind worth reading.

Funny you posted this. A local book store I went to last week had added a pile of perhaps 150 used Civil War magazines. They had put a low price on them so I bought a dozen that had articles I thought would be interesting to read. I was thinking about stopping by and get another 6 or a dozen of them today or tomorrow. So pick up 12 with articles about Vicksburg or get 12 with articles about some other battles?
I have $5 store credit so for $10 more I can pick out a dozen magazines. If if I like one or two articles in each magazine it would be worth the cost.

Last edited:
I have a few of the old booklets with the Yellow cover. They were okay as a quick references. I remember one had the order of battle in very abbreviated form which I would refer to quite often----until I purchased a real Book.
I tried to unload some of my booklets but there was one that I wanted to keep. Now I'm ready to get rid of all of them.

I have stacks of old Confederate magazine dating from the mid-1980s to the most recent edition. I sure miss the Blue Gray magazine; in my opinion, the only one of its kind worth reading.

Actually scuttlebutt going around is that Blue & Gray is coming back.

Personally the one that's gone and I miss, is Civil War Historian. Its gone now, but to me, it was the best I wish I had more issues.

Back