Old Sheldon Church

JW in SC

Private
The Old Sheldon Church is located in the low country of SC. This church was built in the years 1745-1753 but was destroyed in 1779 during the Revolutionary War. Rebuilt in 1826 but destroyed again in 1865 during Sherman's march to the sea. What damage may have been done by Sherman's troops (history not clear as to what damage, fire or destruction) was compounded by local residents salvaging materials to rebuild their own homes that were destroyed by Sherman. Sherman left Savannah and veered west of Charleston as he made his way to the state capital of Columbia. There, cannon fire was used to shell the new state capital building (that artillery site is about 1000 yards from my house) eventually making his way into the capital city laying waste to the Cradle of the Confederacy. The Old Sheldon Church is truely a national treasure.

Old Sheldon Church.JPG

Here is an artist's conception of how the church looked at it's rebuild and completion in 1826. In a letter from February of 1866, Beaufort’s Miton Leverett wrote that “Sheldon Church not burnt. Just torn up in the inside, but can be repaired.” The restoration drawing and later painting was done by John Wenrich. It is based on what parts of the Greek temple-styled building’s construction had been left behind, his study of the existing walls and fragments of entablature found on the grounds around the ruins.

This link contains the alternative story about the church.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/south-carolina/old-sheldon-church-in-sc/

sheldonchurchoriginal-696x474.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I have seen this artist's conception and information before. Nothing compares to actually seeing the site in person. I first saw the church over 30 years ago as I traveled the backroads to Beaufort SC. The place was not maintained very well with very little roadside parking accomodating only 2 or 3 cars halfway sticking out in the two lane road. Beautifully maintained now and quite a treasure.

Back