DBF

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
“Old SANTECLAUS with much delight
His reindeer drives this frosty night,
O’r chimney tops, and tracts of snow,
To bring his yearly gifts to you.”

fullsizeoutput_1b12.jpeg

Some have given the credit to our modern day version of Santa Claus as belonging to Clement Clarke Moore (1779–1863) while some say it was Illustrator Thomas Nast (1840-1902) but not many claim the name William B. Gilley. What did he do? He was the first to publish and illustrate:

“Santa's reindeer and sleigh, as well as being the first to describe his arrival on Christmas Eve. The accompanying illustrations are the earliest published artistic depictions of a Santa Claus figure.” {1}

The year was 1821 - two years before Moore’s immortal poem “A Visit from St. Nicholas” or “T’was the Night Before Christmas”. Unfortunately the writer of the poem remains a mystery.​

“The steady friend of virtuous youth,
The friend of duty, and of truth,
Each Christmas eve he joys to come

Where peace and love have made their home.”

fullsizeoutput_1b13.jpeg

The small paperback book was titled ”The Children’s Friend: A New Year’s Present, the the Little Ones from Five to Twelve”. The illustrations were reproduced using the newest technology at the time - lithography. It was the first to do so.​

“Through many houses he has been,
And various beds and stockings seen;
Some, white as snow, and neatly mended,

Others, that seemed for pigs intended."

fullsizeoutput_1b15.jpeg

At this point in the poem, narrated by a third person, it describes Santa Claus’s duties on Christmas Eve and how he travels to all the homes to distribute his gifts. For the rest of the poem it’s none other than Santa personally narrating:​

“To some I gave a pretty doll,
To some a peg-top, or a ball;
No crackers, cannons, squibs, or rockets,

To blow their eyes up, or their pockets.”

fullsizeoutput_1b16.jpeg

In Gilley’s book he has Santa Claus coming on Christmas Eve not the European tradition of December 6th known as the Feast Day of Saint Nicholas. He also introduces the idea of Santa Claus wearing the color red. ​

“Where e’re I found good girls or boys,
That hated quarrels, strife and noise,
I left an apple, or a tart,

Or wooden gun, or painted cart;”

fullsizeoutput_1b17.jpeg

Santa Claus is considerate of the parents. He will not give gifts of “cannons and rockets” that will poke out children’s eyes; nor will he give drums in respect of Mother’s ears nor swords for brothers to terrorize their sisters.

“No drums to stun their Mother’s ear,
Nor swords to make their sisters fear;
But pretty books to store their mind

With knowledge of each various kind."
fullsizeoutput_1b18.jpeg

Naughty or Nice? How many parents have used those words during the Christmas season as a tool for obedient children. In this poem the last two stanzas are dedicated to what happens to naughty children. Santa Claus knows who they are.​

“But where I found the children naughty,
In manners crude, in temper haughty,
Thankless to parents, liars, swearers,

Boxers, or cheats, or base tale-bearers,”

fullsizeoutput_1c4f.jpeg

No one knows who wrote this poem, however some claim it was the first version of “A Visit from St Nicholas” written later by Clement Clarke Moore. This poem concludes on an ominous note with Santa Claus solution for the disobedient child as this illustration shows:​

“I left a long, black, birchen rod,
Such as the dread command of GOD
Directs a Parent’s hand to use

When virtue’s path his sons refuse.”

fullsizeoutput_1b1a.jpeg

Sources
Wikipedia - Old Santeclaus with Much Delight
https://literature.fandom.com/wiki/Old_Santeclaus_with_Much_Delight
All Pictures — Public Domain

Back