Old Pictures website

Recently ATuttle posted a thread titled "Old Battle Scene" from this site. That one photo was interesting, but the whole site is a gem!

The home page: http://www.old-picture.com/
On the site menu on the left side of the page, click on Picture Collections, then on the Civil War icon in upper right corner of page. This takes you to pages of thumbnails of all the CW photos (about 170 pages, with 40 thumbnails each). Clicking on the thumbnail will take you to a larger, better quality photo, often with more details in the text below the caption.

There are photos of the destruction of southern cities, many individual portraits of soldiers (many identified by name and/or unit), some soldiers' portraits include their wives, panoramic views of entire camps as well as close-ups of portions of camps, weapons, chaplains, surgeons, and more. (And I've only looked at about 400 of the thumbnails so far, who knows what other treasures there might be!)

In addition to this CW collection, if you return to the menu bar and click on "Themed Selections" you will find sections on 1860's, artillery, numerous Native American tribes, and much more. (General history from several eras, US and the world.)

They describe this Civil War collection as focused on the Eastern Theater. Even though I'm really only interested in the West at this point, have still spent hours on this site, and plan to spend many more. It seems to have perhaps a few more Union scenes than CSA, and much more military than civilian scenes.

If I were a re-enactor, I would be in heaven with this site, because of all the detail shown about everything from uniforms to equipment to camp life.

Thanks for posting the link so that everyone can see. My favorite pictures so far are of Charleston SC - the stark reality of what the city looked like in 1865 shows how much damage was caused the war and the blockade. The pictures of the Battery are especially revealing if you have been there and walked it.

Thanks for posting the link so that everyone can see. My favorite pictures so far are of Charleston SC - the stark reality of what the city looked like in 1865 shows how much damage was caused the war and the blockade. The pictures of the Battery are especially revealing if you have been there and walked it.

LOL - it's been so long since I've been to Charleston I know it looked different than these ACW photos, but have no memory of how, except I don't recall bombed out buildings!

And, really appreciate your original thread with the one photo -- were it not for that, I wouldn't have discovered the other gems.

Tamara, thanks so much for the website link. It's a treasure trove of old photos!

Lee

Back