Old Photo

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
Regarding the first photo In my opinion it's impossible to tell who these guys are or when an why they posed. Seems reasonable that they might have been a GAR group, but who knows for sure? Not me!

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
It's a nice photo but I'd have to think not GAR? A lot of these are posed around a main object of some kind- there's a valise/suitcase on the ground, centered and the gentleman behind it seems to be holding something, too. Have a feeling the answer to the mystery surrounds that valise- or the man it seems to belong to. There also seems to be wide age range?

I'm with John, vets tended to wear those GAR pins. We have several post war photos of family members who were vets and they seem to have worn them any time they got in front of a camera, for any reason.

Welcome from Ladies Tea and The Period Photograph forum, thanks for bringing one!

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome form the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

KSor

Cadet
It's a nice photo but I'd have to think not GAR? A lot of these are posed around a main object of some kind- there's a valise/suitcase on the ground, centered and the gentleman behind it seems to be holding something, too. Have a feeling the answer to the mystery surrounds that valise- or the man it seems to belong to. There also seems to be wide age range?

I'm with John, vets tended to wear those GAR pins. We have several post war photos of family members who were vets and they seem to have worn them any time they got in front of a camera, for any reason.

Welcome from Ladies Tea and The Period Photograph forum, thanks for bringing one!
Thank you for the input if I’m correct at one time the most men the GAR had as members was 500 thousand but there were probably more the 1 a million living veterans of the union at that time . So every veteran did not join the GAR do you think it could be possible that it is a reunion of a company ? And after looking at Watterloo50 photo I see men that seem to look young the the others ? I am totally open minded if you have any other suggestion . There is a stamp on the back of the photo from a town Appollo PA . I have found that they had a very small GAR with just over one hundred members . I also found photos with the same stamp with a group of younger people with ribbons and the seem to be walking in a large group . Part of me was wondering if it was “decoration day” or Memorial Day and they were all headed to the cemetery. And the picture of the men was just the Vets . I might be grasping at straws . But I’m intrigued. Thanks again